Stripping Paint From Old LP72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boardndave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently acquired a few LP72's from the late 60's and early 70s. Are these tanks safe to strip of paint? Do they need to be repainted after stripping to maintain their quality?

I just did a few to turn into a doubles set. Stripping works great. If there are area's on the tank that has rust or the galvanized surface is gone you may want to paint them using using grey galvanized paint available at marine Supply stores.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I would leave them alone if it was me but if you must I would use ZRC galvanize for my finish. Here is where I bought mine from.

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/

I stripped an old 72 a while back. It was a real hoot. I went to Ace hardware and asked for the strongest stuff they had. "I want to feel the genetic mutation if I get it on my hands" is what I told the guy. He delivered.

The outer paint came off easily, but there was a layer below it that took some real elbow grease to remove. Then I went over it with Naval Jelly to remove any rust (not sure of the efficacy of that...), then I painted it with ZRC Gavalite spray, which has held up well. Initially, some of the excess came off and I thought it wasn't bonding to the metal, but it eventually stopped coming off. Must have been overspray. The end result looks 'ok', but my tanks get beat up anyways from cave diving.

I think the brush on ZRC might be better than the spray, but its harder to find in my experience.

Good luck (its going to take longer than you anticipate)!

Only if you wear through the galvanized surface to bare steel while stripping paint or rust. Also some shops will require them to be Hydro'd after painting, check with your LDS to see what their policy is.

Only if you wear through the galvanized surface to bare steel while stripping paint or rust. Also some shops will require them to be Hydro'd after painting, check with your LDS to see what their policy is.

Good to know. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between raw steel and galvanized material?

i usually just scuff them up with a da and 220 grit
mask off the hydro date
remove all sticker adhesive
shoot em with primer/sealer(to keep down the old coats)
them color coat/clear coat w/cat.auto paint
galv. finish is usually rough texture and kinda heavy/drips etc.
they get the snot beat out of them,but they hold up well enough for paint
powder coat is the best,but not in my price range
strippers are messy,a lot of work,and pricey
paint strippers also...
have fun
yaeg

If there are areas where you used a wire brush/wheel to remove tought rust/paint, after the rust/paint has been removed the steel will be shinny, this is bare steel and needs to be protected from further oxidation.

I have a sand blaster and blast them clean them paint them with industrial coatings. The only problem is after they are blasted they need to be hydro'd so I only do it to tanks I aquire that are out of hydro. I've never had one fail hydro. So far there has not been any wasted effort.

Attachments

• 002 (3).jpg
    002 (3).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 82
  • 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 80

Back
Top Bottom