Stripers at Lake Pleasant petition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azspearo

Registered
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Kirk Young, he is the Fisheries Chief for AZGFD.
I talked with him about the possibilities of opening Lake Pleasant to Striped Bass spearfishing.
He seemed optimistic as they don't want the Striper's to get af a foothold on the lake.
A petition needs to be into Kirk by this FRIDAY. The Commission meets in October to view any new rules and regs. We have to have the info into Kirk so he can do a feasibility study.

What I need (Board members) is a couple short sentences about why you would be in favor of letting us spear Striper's in Lake Pleasant.

Is there anyone in AZ that would want to help getting commits from those that actually spearfish in the state I.E. friends, family...

For those out of state, Lake Pleasant is a short drive from Phoenix.
http://tinyurl.com/696y24
The lake is mainly fed from Lake Havasu via the CAP canal, which is the main water source for Arizona. Pleasant is used as a storage lake for emergencies and high use periods.
It can have visibility in the 30'+ range and is the only lake close to Phoenix that is spearable.

For those of you that are out of state that come to the Phoenix area to vacation in the winter please write a sentence or two why opening Lake Pleasant would benefit you.

Other fish that can be speared currently in Pleasant and the rest of the state are as follows...

D. In addition to angling, an individual may also take
the following aquatic wildlife using the following
methods, subject to the restrictions of R12-4-303,
R12-4-317, and this Section:
1. Carp (Cyprinus carpio), buffalofish, mullet,
tilapia, goldfish, and shad may also be taken
by bow and arrow, crossbow, snare, gig, spear,
spear gun, or snagging. Except for snagging,
an individual shall not practice any of these
methods of take within 200 yards of any boat
dock or designated swimming area.
2. Striped bass may also be taken by spear or
spear gun in waters designated by Commission
order.

If you want to have a chance to spear Striper's in '09 please respond.

Mesa, AZ
Crist Spears
http://cristspears.com/

Oookay. This is a petition that I can get behind. Ohhh. STRIPERS. Like the fish. Must've read it wrong. Never mind.

I love spearing her in AZ.i feel stripers are a fish that can destroy our fish in the waters here do to there pack like nature and feeding habits. spear fishing is a great sport that i find to be a lot of fun. one side note. i have never seen one in any of our lakes yet. i guess i dont know where to look.

Did you mean strippers? There's nothing like spearing a couple of female strippers in the morning to get your day started .

Hey if there are strippers in the lake no wonder it's called Lake Pleasant!

Good news for legalizing striped bass in Pleasant. There is going to be 5 public meetings across the state to get input from the public.
I'll be going to the meeting on Sept. 2nd in Mesa. I hope others will be going to meetings in the other 4 places, I may try and make one other meeting.
This kind of opportunity doesn't come a long very often and if we want to spearfish in Pleasant this is the time to act.
I'm going to be calling some dive shops in the state to let them know of the proposal.
Public Meetings

I'm off duty that day, so Ill try to attend.

I've read a lot of articles about stripers at pleasant, but have never seen one while diving.

I've caught one while fishing, but nothing like at Powell where they have really become a problem.

Have any of you fellas seen large populations of stripers at Pleasant?

Jeff

I saw one small one while diving the hump from the diver down Last summer. Not spearable numbers. But at least we'll have the law in place as their numbers increase. Powell has really been messed up by the stripers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom