Stretching a set of fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any one have tried to stretch ( widen) a set of fins?? a set I bought fit fine longways but I have Fred Flinstone feet and they are cramping my feet. Avanti tres..."warning "on side sez keep temps below 167 degrees as they will stretch...I thought putting a stretcher inside and hot water over the area might solve my tightness issue...anyone ever done this?? as I dont want to throw away the $$$. Don't want to send em back for the xxl as these fit fine for the length just tight on the sides....:06:

Y'know, since Mares is a European company, the 167 degrees they're referring to might be in Celsius, which works out to 332 degrees fahrenheit. That would require either hot oil or a hot oven.

Either way, if you attempt this, please keep everyone informed how it turns out. We will of course want some pics too.

Have you seen all the really keen fins Larry at ScubaToys sells? Now might not be a bad time to pick out your next pair. :D

___

I think it would depend on the material the pocket is made of, but generally sounds to me like the first step toward having a ruined set of fins.

Thermoset materials, like rubber, won't allow you to heat and reform or reshape them by heating. Thermoplastic materials will, but I imagine how and how much you heat them would have a lot to say about the material qualities (like durability, elasticity, etc.) after the experiment.

I'd say BigWhiteSquare is right - eBay the Avantis, and go down to your LDS and try some on, get their recommendation on what is right for your leg strength, type of diving, etc. This is one of those items where unless I was sure I would avoid the sight unseen purchase via internet, and I also wouldn't use an LDS to find the right fin, and then go buy it on the net.

You'd have better luck finding booties with less side build-out.

If it is a thermoplastic material it wiil become very unstable when its ready you yeild. Then again if you try and ruin them you'll carte blanche to get the next size or a different model with a more suitable proportion.

Pete

I like the thinner booty idea myself. I think you'll ruin the fins if you heat them up. The rubber may become gummy and sticky and you'll hate them. I've see what happens to the Quattros when they get too much sun and it isn't pretty. The "Tres" are made of the same material.

Billleelou sent this in a PM.

I told him to try as follows:
Stretching the footpocket should not be a problem. Keep the water temp below 150/155 degrees F. Using the stretcher and water it should only take a minute or so. A few mm will be fine, do not try to stretch excessively. Let me know how it works out.

Phil

Tried the Method Phil said, hot water over the foot pocket where the ball of my foot goes. Ran water over it three times for a little over a minute and let cool before removing the stretcher. Whether it is my imagination or what , they now fit perfectly and quite frankly the foot pocket is extremely comfortable...

Thanks Phil

I hope what your planning to do works for you. I've never tried it. I have high arches in my feet which have caused some brands of fins to rub holes in the tops of my feet. Finally after wrapping my feet in duct tape, wearing socks under the booties and every other combination I could think of, I had to give the fins up. Went shopping and tried on several pairs before coming up with some Tusa Expert Zooms. No more painful feet, it's heaven.

nothing worse than uncomfortable shoes/fins....I don't know if it works on other brands, but worked on my tre's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom