Streamlining SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I'm finally getting to a stage where I'm beginning to develop a good dive profile and figuring out where I want gear, which gear I want with me, and hopefully a method for keeping it from dragging through the sand/damaging a coral reef.

Got everything fixed (even the octopus!) except the darned SPG. I had a Gripper Jr. Retractor on it that someone sent me as a gift, and the retractor may as well not be there. It just drags. I tried fastening it with a carabiner and a keyring, but I can't get it unclipped easily, and it's not low enough for me to be able to see and read.

The console is pretty heavy; it's an old Scubapro. I'm not sure if any retractor is going to be able to hold this thing. It has a compass on it, but so long as I can easily see depth and air pressure, it's not important to me to be able to line up the compass correctly since I have a wrist compass that's better quality that I like better (got it before the console). The console has a small loop in the end that can fit small clips and keyrings, but can't handle something the size of a small carabiner through it.

Any suggestions? I have a (brand new) Dive Rite transpac II. I have a spare D ring for the console either on my hip behind the weight pocket or on my left chest strap. I don't mind unclipping the thing so long as it is easy and quick to do (or learn how to do), but I would prefer to either be able to see it by looking down or be able to pull it out (like from a retractor that actually works).

Ishie

If you are using the Cressi-Sub big eye mask, you'll be able to see all the way down to your left hip. No need to unclip.........

I would also recommend that you remove the SPG from the console boot and tie a bolt snap to it. I had a console, and pulled out the compass (bungeed now to my wrist), bolt snapped the SPG to my left hip D ring, and keep the analog depth gauge as a backup to my computer. Would never go back to a console.

If it were me, I'd suggest moving everything except for the SPG to your wrist, then tie a bolt snap to the SPG and clipping it off.

Depending on what gear you've got on your console, it may be possible to purchase wrist mounts that will accommodate it. If not, a wrist mounted Bottom Timer is not particularly expensive.

i'll be different- i hate clogging my wrists up- especially since I dive Drysuit.
For the big SPG's, if it's coming from ur left side, draw it across ur chest and clip it to a D ring on the right side of ur DIve Rite...Just making sure it's comfortable, depending on the length of the hose/size of the console this can be really uncomfortable.

SF

If you don't want take your console apart, you can still attach a bolt snap to the small loop on the console via cave line or zip tie.

As for attachment, here are some options:

1. Left hip D-ring like the above posts state.
2. Bring it across your body and attach it to one of the rings on your right. If you need to look at air, just look down.
3. Scooter ring on your crotch strap.

Thank you to all of you on the advice. I'm not wildly fond of stuff on my arms, plus I already have a fairly large compass I mount on my wrist and don't like to push stuff up my arms. I think attaching a bolt snap will work pretty well. I'm going to play around with the configuration, but I'll probably end up going with the scooter ring. I hadn't even thought about that, but it'll be easy to see there.

I'm planning on a Caribbean trip in February, so by then, I might try and streamline even more to avoid damaging the reefs. Right now, almost all of my diving in Monterey so my main goal has been keeping the sand and rocks out of everything. (Last weekend was very enlightening), so I *really* appreciate the tips. I'll check the LDS for a bolt snap and some cave line the next time I'm there.

Ishie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom