Strange things I've eaten...mostly on dive trips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big thing when I was a child at Bob Soto's in the Cayman's was Conch gumbo and turtle soup.

They would hang the conch from lines that would allow gravity to pull the muscle part out slowly.

I think I'll pass, just lost more then 90 lbs of my fat and don't intent on gaining it back because of eating exotic food. But then again, I can't afford to go anywhere especially my car is costing me a bundle to fix. :shakehead

Let's see...most of this was eaten while traveling and living in SE Asia, except the squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, frog, starlings and some of the snakes were eaten back home in Appalachia.

Squirrel
Rabbit
Starlings
Pigeons
Muskrat
Goat
Various snakes
Frogs
Alligator
Grub worms
Grasshoppers
Crickets
Coconut worms
Giant water beetles (looks like a twin-engine cockroach)
Fried goat udders
Fruit bat
Fish eyes
Chicken head
Duck head
probably other stuff that I can't remember
...but I won't eat pork

1. deep fried duck tongue
2. stinky tofu (smells like a dirty underwear after a marathon)
3. shark fin soup (at a formal dinner....didnt know what it was)
4. steamed fish bladder
5. Hot pot with one side of the soup pigs blood and the other side duck blood
6. fish eyes
7. unknown stuff

fermented whale meat buried in ground (in Iceland) - It tasted pretty bad:)

Something in China translated to "3 penis soup". I think you are supposed to benefit the character traits of the 3 donor animals. It was all I could do to swallow.

Of course in West Texas we have cafe fries. Think rocky mountain oysters sliced and deep fried (next to the twinkies, snicker bars and all other good food). A local restaurant billboard encourages you to stop by for a "ball of a time".

Many things in Thailand, Philippines, and China that don't even have names you can translate. I guess that's really a good thing though, because now I don't have to admit it was a bat, rat, monkey, dog, or fertilized duck egg that was burried in the ground for months.

Alligator
Spring bok
Camel
Sheep eyes
Zebra
Elephant
snake

Raw sparrow, still warm (Hey, I was drunk and dared)
Live Huhu grubs (like aussie Witchety grubs)
Mountain oyster
Raw sea urchin (tastes like salt marinated in salt)
Wild goat
Hare
Hair Pie (yummy)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom