Story board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaskipper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What shots are essential to tell a good video story? Video usually no longer than 15-20 minutes. Snorkelers and wildlife are the main focus. What top side elements will enhance the story? No editing done, what you shoot is what they get at the end of the trip.

I would also like to put together a highlights video for the year, this would be edited as footage is shot. I would also like to put together an educational video about the refuge. I'll use IMOVIE for the editing projects.

While it is *possible* to shoot a 15 minute trip video without doing any post production editing, you have to have a really clear idea of what you want before you shoot the first frame. Essentially you are editing, you're just doing it in the camera every time you press the record button. I think you'd be hard pressed to wind up with a video that is as compelling as it could be if you took the time to edit after the shoot.
With that in mind, keep it simple ... wide, medium, close. Set the context first, then go in for detail shots.

By watching wildlife documentaries you will develop a feel for the essential shots required to produce a compelling video. Good luck with editing in camera though. There are very few people who can nail it on the first take and the fish just do not take direction very well.

I try to make short videos interesting by including some topside shots that explain the type of diving involved (boat vs. beach) and maybe a little history of the site if available. It gives the viewers more amazement that there is so much to see under the surface. Red Sea videos are a great example. I've seen a few that showed divers entering still water from a lifeless desert. Once the lens broke the surface it was as if someone turned on a light. This is a video I made of one of my local beach dive sites.
[youtubehq]<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0pfl_6e4oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0pfl_6e4oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom