Storm brewing towards Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen

Reaction score
I have been watching the weather report and look like rain
most of next week and a tropical storm may be coming.
When it rains there, does it usually rain all day or just off and on?
I know when I was in Jamaica, it rained some, but only very an hour or so each day.

scubajen once bubbled...
I have been watching the weather report and look like rain
most of next week and a tropical storm may be coming.
When it rains there, does it usually rain all day or just off and on?
I know when I was in Jamaica, it rained some, but only very an hour or so each day.

It varies. In the rainy season (now), the rain is usually spotty, with numerous small rapidly moving showers. However, once I was there when a tropical depression set in and stayed put; it rained for a solid week, and I mean truly never stopping raining for a week.

Scubajen,
After you have worried about whether to wear sun tan lotion, whether to use AMEX checks or cash, and now the weather, I hope the trip is fantastic for you. With all of this preparation and worry, please give us a detailed report. Relax and have a great trip. It will be fine, really.
Dive Safe,
Larry

daylight once bubbled...
Scubajen,
After you have worried about whether to wear sun tan lotion, whether to use AMEX checks or cash, and now the weather, I hope the trip is fantastic for you. With all of this preparation and worry, please give us a detailed report. Relax and have a great trip. It will be fine, really.
Dive Safe,
Larry

You forgot what exposure protection to use, where to eat, and how deep should I go :). Sorry Jen, just had to...

ggun summed up the Coz weather pretty well. You're there to dive right? The main concern for you is not rain but wind. If it gets too windy they won't let the boats out of the harbor. Rain won't keep you from diving but wind can.

James

We were there a week ago.
Rain according to the weather channel was scheduled for every day.
It rained one day-Just a few drops.

It is just that the last big trip my husband and I went on was 3 years ago, which was Jamiaca and it sucked. Of course, probably was the fact that we went there and not somewhere else. Just want to have a wonderful time in Coz and have a fun and safe time diving. Once I get there and have a margarita or 2, or 3, 10, I will be relaxed.

Oh, and I will submit a full report when I get back. :wink:

Thanks!

scubajen once bubbled...
It is just that the last big trip my husband and I went on was 3 years ago, which was Jamiaca and it sucked. Of course, probably was the fact that we went there and not somewhere else. Just want to have a wonderful time in Coz and have a fun and safe time diving. Once I get there and have a margarita or 2, or 3, 10, I will be relaxed.

Oh, and I will submit a full report when I get back. :wink:

Thanks!

I don't know if I've mentioned this in one of your other threads, but be sure to rent a bug one day and head over to the east side. Take your snorkle gear. There are about 5 great bars over there and it is far away from the cruise ship crowds. Chen Rio has a great seafood platter for two and a nice protected little cove to snorkle in.

James

James Goddard once bubbled...

I don't know if I've mentioned this in one of your other threads, but be sure to rent a bug one day and head over to the east side. Take your snorkle gear. There are about 5 great bars over there and it is far away from the cruise ship crowds. Chen Rio has a great seafood platter for two and a nice protected little cove to snorkle in.

James

I second that, and add that there is a place you oughta see over there. As you head south, it's between Playa Bonita and the Paradise Cafe (which is the last little bar before the road cuts back westward). It's called El Mirador, and there's no human structure there except for a vacant cinder block building with stairs to the roof. There is a set of big stone outcroppings there that stick out into the sea, and two of them make natural bridge formations with crashing surf and spectacular blowholes. The one on the right (looking out to sea) vaults over a tide pool you can climb down into where I have found lots of critters. Also, look for the "crouching lion" out in the surf; you'll know it immediately when you see it.

My group usually makes a day of the "wild side", starting out at Mescalito's in the late morning and ending up lying in hammocks at the Paradise Cafe (aka Bob's Marley Bar) until they close.

Oh, and one more thing: you may be tempted to rent a "moped" (which are actually Honda Elite scooters) to make that journey. Unless you are accustomed to driving one of these, I highly dis-recommend it. Scooter accidents are by far the most common source of injury to tourists on Cozumel, and some of these incidents have been fatal.

ggunn once bubbled...

I second that, and add that there is a place you oughta see over there. As you head south, it's between Playa Bonita and the Paradise Cafe (which is the last little bar before the road cuts back westward). It's called El Mirador, and there's no human structure there except for a vacant cinder block building with stairs to the roof. There is a set of big stone outcroppings there that stick out into the sea, and two of them make natural bridge formations with crashing surf and spectacular blowholes. The one on the right (looking out to sea) vaults over a tide pool you can climb down into where I have found lots of critters. Also, look for the "crouching lion" out in the surf; you'll know it immediately when you see it.

Aww man. I've always just thought that was an abandoned building. Didn't know there was actually anything to see there. Thanks for the tip, I'll hit it next time I get down.

Oh, and one more thing: you may be tempted to rent a "moped" (which are actually Honda Elite scooters) to make that journey. Unless you are accustomed to driving one of these, I highly dis-recommend it. Scooter accidents are by far the most common source of injury to tourists on Cozumel, and some of these incidents have been fatal.

I've done it both ways. The scooters are only dangerous in town, once you get out they are fine. As a motorcylist I've developed that keen sense that every car on the road is looking for a unique way to kill you. Once you get that down it's a lot safer :).

Still, I greatly prefer to get a jeep or bug because as slow as those scooters go it takes forever to get down to the SE corner.

But you are, as you say, a motorcyclist, and are therefore accustomed to motorized two-wheel transport.
I am not, and I hit a patch of sand on the road at high speed over on the wild side and very nearly wiped out. It would have been nasty.
My brother is not, and he launched a scooter off into a ditch south of Chankanaab taking a curve too fast. He got to spend the evening in the emergency room and the rest of his visit laid up in a deck chair. It was his third and final scooter accident on Cozumel; we won't let him on one any more.
Scooters are dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced, and most gringos driving them around Cozumel are just that. I always recommend that non-riders rent a car instead to see the other side, especially if they will be drinking, and who isn't? ;^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom