Storing housing O-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When storing a housing between dives do you leave the O-ring in place in the housing (ie in the groove) or should it be removed and stored seperately?

Does it make a difference if the time betwen dives is a few days as compared to weeks or months?

Thanks

I've always just left mine in and latched the case loosely. I've got over 800 dives on the housing and have never had to change o-rings but I do carry extra in case I screw one up. I do, however, grease and clean all the o-rings every time I open the housing or take the batteries off my strobes.

That said, I do know people who store removed and greased o-rings in a zip lock bag. Can't hurt.

My 1st o-ring was destroyed because it was left in the groove all the time, it got stretched beyond use in abt 2yrs...
Sea & Sea shop recommendation is to remove from groove, clean, grease & put into zip-loc. Have been following this faithfully, hope it will prolong its life... ;-)

Oh I guess if it is not for storage, it is ok to leave it in... But I also grease it after several dives, when it is dry...

for a week of diving, i leave it in. for longer storage i remove and it keep ziplocked.

If left in the groove long term, o-rings can take a set and will need to be replaced. Over the course of a week that is not an issue and on a boat, or for that matter anywhere outside a starage case, I'd keep the housing latched to ensure water does not enter and dust does not contaminate the o-ring or mating surfaces.

For long term storage I keep the 0-ring in a zip lock.

With regard to an o-ring stretching in use - that does not happen. What does happen is that silicone grease or a spray with silicone in it will cause a silicone o-ring to expand and since most of the expansion occurs along the lenght of the o-ring, it appears to stretch. If you read the fine print carefully, the "silicone" grease that comes with housings using silicone o-rings contains no silicone at all.

Canon recommends removal from the case when not in use for prolonged intervals. I just bought a new o-ring. It is circular. The one that came with the case has assumed the shape of the case. Not good and says something negative about keeping the o-ring in place.

For long term storage I keep the 0-ring in a zip lock.

Same here. If I am not going to dive for two weeks or more I put it in a ziplock that I store inside the housing, just so I don't lose it. :)

In a ziplock. Additionally, it sounds like a marketing scheme, but I've heard that all orings and grease are not compatible. I'd use only the recommended grease.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom