Storing/Carrying Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
I just received the housing for my new Canon A80 (the camera is to arrive on Monday) I took the housing to the pool today for a check out and it stayed nice and dry.

In the manual, Canon suggests storing the O-ring in the housing, keeping the housing open and protecting from dust etc.... would it not make more sense to store the housing closed and put the O-ring in a zip-lock baggie or something like that to protect it?

Also, any suggestions on strong carry cases that could handle the housing camera, and possibly a Sunpack G-Strobe (running out of money so it may be the only option left). So you use separate cases for traveling to and from dive locations and a different one on the boat?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Opinions vary on the main O ring storage.
I remove mine and keep it in a zip loc bag. I check and grease it after every days use.
As for transporting your camera/housing, I use a soft beverage cooler at dive locations and on dive boats as it insulates it from the heat. You may also want a hard case for the travelling aspects.

Like Gilligan, I also remove the o-ring at the end of the day and place it in a zip-lock bag. I also add just a tiny bit of o-ring grease to the bag to keep the o-ring moist. I also use a collapsible drink cooler on dive sites for the reasons he stated. For storage in between dives and transporting the rig, I keep it in a small Pelican case.

The oring thing has been covered so I'll just pop in my two cents on the carrying case. I use three depending on where I am going:

1) hard case for serious travel or on our private boat if I want to take more than just the housing (ie strobe, video set-up etc). Mine is a Doskogil pistol case, bought at Cabela's - roughly $50. Pelican also make excellent cases, but last time I checked you'll pay a lot more. I have several Doskogils and some are 5+ years old - been mistreated a lot, still ticking.

2) cooler bag - like you'd put a six pack in - like Dee & Gilligan...sizes vary depending on your needs. Excellent for on the boat as a fresh water rinse tank, good insulation and some bump protection. Usually this is in my backpack

3) backpack (mine is a Canon, but Lowepro and many others make them) - this is how I carry my camera to/from usually. Frees my hands. Has excellent bump protection and fits everything I need.

I have looked in vain for a backpack cooler - Walmart had one when I was back BUT the opening at the top was very small and the front didn't fold down...not even sure how people used them for drinks as you couldn't access the ones at the bottom!

Dee...I asked this before in another thread, but have lost it...what backpack do you use for travel that takes your camera system & laptop? I need one of these...

alcina:
Dee...I asked this before in another thread, but have lost it...what backpack do you use for travel that takes your camera system & laptop? I need one of these...

Mine is a Delsey Pro. I didn't pay near the amount quoated on that website, found it in a local camera shop so might check that first.

I can get everything in it, including battery chargers, cords, lenses, CD's..the whole she-bang. Only problem with air travel is it weighs way more than carry-on limits. If you have a lightweight laptop that will help! :wink: It's very comfortable to wear.

Dee:
Mine is a Delsey Pro. I didn't pay near the amount quoated on that website, found it in a local camera shop so might check that first.

I can get everything in it, including battery chargers, cords, lenses, CD's..the whole she-bang. Only problem with air travel is it weighs way more than carry-on limits. If you have a lightweight laptop that will help! :wink: It's very comfortable to wear.

Thanks, I will check it out...we chose a heavier laptop to get the large screen, but I am the Queen of the Carry-on and have it to an art minimizing the rest of the weight! Never had my carry-ons weighed when I was hauling tons of stuff - I think I fake how light things are sometimes!

Yeah, they seldom weight my backpacks either. I just wear it to the counter and they've asked. BUT I figure if they ever do, I don't want to have to check the BP into luggage! Besides, as much walking as I have to do through Houstons airport, that thing gets heavier with every step! This year, Beast carried it but I put all non-essential stuff in the big Pelican so it was within weight limits.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.

Just to be sure...it's roomy enough for the Oly housing, too?
Unfortunately I won't be able to hands-on any cases and will have to trust the internet and other people's input...

FWIW, I either have dive o-rings on the housing and port, or storage o-rings. I don't store or transport the housing unless it has a o-ring of some kind in place.

For my housings, it is possible to damage the o-ring track if you smack it hard enough, and the o-ring isn't in place to cushion the impact. Hence storage o-rings.

I suppose I would forgo storage o-rings if I could store the housing halfs separate. Just don't have much space in the hard case, though.

O-rings not in the camera are flat in a baggie, just like everyone else has said. When flying, I make sure housings are open to pressure changes.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom