Store GoPro housing open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I'm taking my first dive trip next week and have a new Hero4 Silver to come along with me.

When I have used a point and shoot camera in a housing before, and the consensus was to remove the o-ring from the housing for storage, so that the o-ring retains it's shape and is ready for the next use.

Does the same hold true for GoPro housings? Maybe I won't remove the o-ring, but how about storing the housing open, to keep the o-ring from compacting from storage while closed? Thoughts?

Many thanks!

I have two housings and keep them open while in storage (I keep the rings in them). Also take time to inspect the ring before use for any cuts, crimps, cat hair or anything else that might compromise it.

I store mine closed. The O ring seal needs to stay clean and I don't see a better way of keeping the seal intact than keeping it closed.

I store mine closed. It comes closed when you buy it so I don't believe keeping it closed damages it. If you store open you have to keep it in a plastic bag to keep dust from the inside and the O ring, which is an extra hassle. I keep mine open after diving just long enough to dry the Oring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom