Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the important things to take note of when storing the following items long term, i.e. couple months or more without diving.

BCD - keep slightly inflated
Computer - remove battery.. wise idea?
Regulator/Octo - Block mouthpiece opening
First stage - Dust cap secure

anything else?

Why would you store your gear for long term, thats just crazy.

To answer your question what you have listed sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure about the battery but it couldn't hurt. I would keep in a dry place with small temp. changes.

There is no need to block the mouthpieces unless you are storing them where something could crawl in. It would be better for air to get to them to keep any moisture that could accumulate from turning to mold or mildew. As to the bc yes, a bit of air in it to keep the bladder from sticking to itself if there is any saltwater that did not get rinsed. I have heard of people also adding a bit of mouthwash to some water and sloshing it around and then draining. This is presumably to get rid of any latent bacteria. As to the computer battery it may be better to leave it in. What does the manual say? Sometimes electronic devices need a small amount of power in storage to hold some basic functions. Unless it's going be 6 months to year( If that long I'd just give up diving!) the worst is that when you fire it up again it needs a new battery. Unless you are worried about the battery leaking. Not that big a deal these days with the new battery technology.

But the best thing is unless you are going to the military or prison and will be unable to dive, don't store it-DIVE IT! You are in California for god's sake. My gear would be lucky to ever dry out if I lived there! Hell it barely gets dry here in Pa. Even if it means freezing air temps(diving this weekend and they are calling for snow) or now that I can, under the ice. DIVE young man, DIVE!

What are the important things to take note of when storing the following items long term, i.e. couple months or more without diving.

anything else?

Store it in a cool, dry and dark place. For a couple of months, I'd not mess with the battery. Plastic bag everything.

anything else?

I don't remove my computer batteries, I just turn off the alarms and store it somewhere dry so it doesn't turn on in response to moisture.

great, thanks guys! actually i'm trying to dive as much as possible now but I am really disappointed about the visibility here in Laguna Beach, last time I went out it was 10 ft., with some kind of silt suspension in the water and there was such a strong current I was getting pushed into the rocks :( The water was also freezing (68F). I am really surprised that the diving here is so bad. Even so, I am going to try to get more in just for the experience.

About the storage I may go out of the country briefly (for 6 months) next year and probably don't want to cart my gear along hence the question :)

68F is freezing :rofl3: We are still diving here in MN and some folks here put the boats away and get the chainsaws out. Last time I dove the surface temp was 45F. In the summer 67-72F is surface temp at 75-80ft, it drops to 43-36F in the in deep pits coming up from that 68F feels like a suana. Perhaps get a 7mm 2 piece suit or consider drysuit if you can afford it and keep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom