Storage Space Advice for R4 and Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdpdrum345

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to R4 and Lembeh in about 2 months. Wanted to know from everyones experience how much storage space I should have. I already have a 4 128GB and 64GB chips.

I don't shoot all the time, and when I did a 4 day live aboard I used about 1.5x 64GB chips.

Assuming I shoot more do you think I'll have enough space? I calculated around 16hrs of total video time with my current setting which are ProTune on, and 1080. Might bump up res to 1440 for Lembeh though.

Thanks in advance.

That should be enough but 128Gb cards can be had for $50-60. What's the cost of your trip? If it was me I'd get a few more just to be over the top. Chances are if you don't need them, someone else will be running low and you can sell or barter them.

If you're taking a laptop and can do some editing and culling, you should be fine as is. My quality clips are less than a quarter of my raw footage. Another option if you're taking a laptop is to just take a 1Tb or 2Tb usb hard drive.

That should be enough but 128Gb cards can be had for $50-60. What's the cost of your trip? If it was me I'd get a few more just to be over the top. Chances are if you don't need them, someone else will be running low and you can sell or barter them.

If you're taking a laptop and can do some editing and culling, you should be fine as is. My quality clips are less than a quarter of my raw footage. Another option if you're taking a laptop is to just take a 1Tb or 2Tb usb hard drive.

Not taking computer or cell. They will be off the whole time. The purpose is to get away, and not be "on."

Thanks for the advice.

I did that trip last year - amazing. Where are you staying?

On that trip I took 1 32GB card per day of diving....plus threw in 3-4 more cards. SimiIar to your comment above, I was shooting 1080p and not filming entire dives...only shooting when there was a subject I was focused on. A single 32GB seemed to be enough for 1 day worth of shooting even when doing 4-5 dives/day

I took a trip to LIttle Cayman this past August where we were doing 3-4 dives/day and I was shooting 2.7k....and planned my storage the same way (1 32GB/day of diving). This seemed to be enough for 3 dives, but at times was not enough for 4.

I use the 32GB method since if something happens I only lose that days worth of footage.

Hope this helps.

@large_diver Yes!!! Perfect. Glad to hear it was amazing.

That's a good way to think about it. Much appreciated. If I use your method, and I should be good. Might grab another 64 just to make sure I am covered covered.

I'm staying at NAD Lembeh and then doing Blue Manta for R4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom