Storage of your digital camera in flight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello....

I am packing to go to Cozumel and was wondering if it is safe to have your digital camera stored in the housing while in flight??

With the pressure of the airplane cause the o-ring to burst??

Also....is it safe to keep the housing closed in flight as well??

NightRaven77

Hi NightRaven!

I don't know if it would burst on the plane but I would recommend never to store your camera with the O-rings in it. I would suggest that you take the o-ring (or rings, i.e. Oly 5050 has 2) out and store it in a small ziplock inside the case when ever you don't use it.
Aloha,
Lisa

Will the housing & camera be carry-on, or are you checking the housing? Do you live near sea level? I would recommend that you always put the camera in carry-on. In either case, if you're near sea level, don't worry about the housing. Close it up with the o-rings in place. From an engineering standpoint this is a non problem. If you're not at sea level, you might want to remove the main o-rings for the flight. Otherwise it may be somewhat hard to open it in Cozumel. The manufacturer ships housings closed & sealed. If you order one & have it shipped 2nd day air for example, its probably been on 1-2 flights. They will open.

I think ideally you're supposed to have "crap" o-rings used for storage purposes. You keep the fancy ones for diving separate in a clean bag. As for overpressurization, if your camera can handle 3-4 atmospheres of positive pressure, it can probably handle a fraction of a single atmosphere on the negative side. If it was a serious problem it should be mentioned in the manual. Homeland security would also get all upset with all these "exploding cameras" everywhere!

If you're taking it as carryon, your camera should be safe inside the housing. But if you put it in checked luggage, I'd never put the camera inside the housing. There was a fella on Rodales not long ago who reported his Pelican case was smashed bad enough that ir cracked the Pelican, and the camera was damaged from the buttons of the housing being shoved into the camera.

JC already covered the o-ring.

Back
Top Bottom