Storage.... no air or some air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJHACK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just curious, I've never considered this before with some average quality BCD's I've owned. However, since spending the money on this higher end Ranger model, I want to be sure it's stored properly whether a week, over night, or a maybe even a month.

Should it be stored as empty as possible or with some inflation?

dry is more important in my mind to deter bacterial proliferation (and of course in the air condition). I leave mine open at the inflator hose (screw off inflator is one reason I wanted the Zeagle). The bladder just holds the air, the outer shell will actually take the load (pressure) of the filled bladder.

Maybe a LDS per will chip in and tell us how bcds are shipped to them?

We store ours with one of the pressure relief valves removed.

I'm glad I asked this with the opinions so far. Seems there is not 100% consensus. I suppose for me logically, I would make sure it was rinsed out and then dried completely on the outside. After which a few manual puffs of air in the bladder keeps it from sticking together. Also my paranoia, lets me be certain that there is nothing leaking either, after a couple days of sitting with some air.

I'm glad I asked this with the opinions so far. Seems there is not 100% consensus. I suppose for me logically, I would make sure it was rinsed out and then dried completely on the outside. After which a few manual puffs of air in the bladder keeps it from sticking together. Also my paranoia, lets me be certain that there is nothing leaking either, after a couple days of sitting with some air.

Exactly how I clean mine at the end of the weeks diving. I rinse with water several times, BC conditioner in, rinsed and dried for a week then about 5 breaths in manually, and on the BC hangar in the closet, with regs underneath.

After a thorough rinse with the hose, I drain then hang upside down to dry. Once dry, I bring inside where it is stored in a climate controlled environment. The inflator (Octo-Z) is removed and stored with the regulator, so the inflator hose is open. There is a little fluffiness, but it's open to the air, so not under any pressure greater than ambient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom