Storage Banks, Partway Thru my Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prid1279

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not really necessary but I had some of the bits laying around so have started on a storage system build.

Yet to see if it is worthwhile but I have really enjoyed the research and knowledge building that it has allowed.

My wife is very unsure regarding the necessity but here I am.

Currently have four low pressure banks at 160 bar, three at 200 bar and am hoping to pick up five 350 bar cylinders this weekend.

I will continue collecting 200 bar cylinders to replace the 160s and add to the 200 bars. They are available if you are willing to search and wait for them to come up. They obviously need inspecting and cleaning before putting them into use for SCUBA storage.

A note to all beginning this process, Swagelok gear isn't cheap, it adds up real quick.

I doubt that any of this project will make financial sense but I am hoping that it will pay itself off as quickly as my compressors did.

Regardless, I have enjoyed seeing that none of the compression fittings have yet leaked when tested at 250 bar.

Matt

Attachments

• 20210601_150229.jpg
    20210601_150229.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210605_115055.jpg
    20210605_115055.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210608_203402.jpg
    20210608_203402.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210608_203424.jpg
    20210608_203424.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 104
Definitely
can't remember last time I was at a dive store...

My system kinda needs the low pressure storage bank.. its alot different than most normal compressor setups.

Think of my system as a huge booster...
Driven By a 2speed hydraulic pump on a timer.

So most scuba tanks get pumped to 1500 psi. Then the low bank gets dumped into the booster. Then I have 100cuft ish to top off the dive tanks... usually fill 2-3 tanks in a shot...

It's a bit complicated sounding but is quite simple.. a diagram would be much simpler to explain....

The low bank allows me to let it run unattended.. and usually sits around 1500 psi

I do fill for a few buddies.
but an average year... is 50 dives for me... I use twin 72s. So most shops its 5-10$ a fill.
So average 8$.
50 dive x 2 tanks x 8$ = 800$ a year... that adds up fast for me...
plus I can work in my garage and fill at the same time.

And oh ya I can fill any tank I like.... my vintage tanks that know one wants to touch...
Fill them and go diving. No questions,
no worries that someone will drill a hole and condemn them...

@Rol diy Why so many pressure gauges?

looks like lever valves and each gauge has a different reading so it appears to be used as a cascade but yes, it could be done by recording the pressures when the valve is open if you want to remember the number for later. I have a temp marker for that and use it mark the individual tanks after each use.

They are hydraulic ball valves....
Gauge shows tank pressure... so I can stage each tank and be more efficient when I pre charge my booster. I can pump really fast to 1000 psi. So its easy to see what tank or tanks needs filling. I just open those valves especially if they are close in pressure

20210610_150131.jpg
Black hydraulic accumulator is my compressor. Coalessing oil filters and carbon filters are beside...
20210610_150236.jpg

Hydraulic pack at the bottom with 2 speed pump.
Electric pressure switch to adjust cutout pressure. And a relief valve set at 3600 psi.

Definitely
can't remember last time I was at a dive store...

My system kinda needs the low pressure storage bank.. its alot different than most normal compressor setups.

Think of my system as a huge booster...
Driven By a 2speed hydraulic pump on a timer.

So most scuba tanks get pumped to 1500 psi. Then the low bank gets dumped into the booster. Then I have 100cuft ish to top off the dive tanks... usually fill 2-3 tanks in a shot...

It's a bit complicated sounding but is quite simple.. a diagram would be much simpler to explain....

The low bank allows me to let it run unattended.. and usually sits around 1500 psi

Interesting. Very different.

Back
Top Bottom