Stinky Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fashionablylate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a Viking Pro 1000 drysuit, vulcanized rubber outside with a canvas-like inner material molded to the suit. After each dive day I turn it inside out to get some fresh air into the suit, and run the undergarments through the wash.

Despite this practice, the inside of my suit is beginning to smell rather terribly, and I'm not sure how to remedy the problem. I've considered spraying the inside of the suit with a fabric deodorizer like Febreeze, but am concerned that it will damage the suit.

Anyone have any suggestions for drying and deodorizing a suit like the Viking?

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Andrew

Viking's are pretty tough. Here's how I wash the inside of my DUI suit. Turn it inside out (well, as much possible with DV boots), close the zipper, then wash it with woolite and water, then hose it all off.

I volunteer at the zoo and my first dive in the penguin tank, the filtration system was having some issues. My TLS350 was brand new when I dove the penguin tank and due to the filtration system, my suit smelled very bady of fish. DUI recommended Simple Green. It took a couple days of soaking but the smell came out. If it is just due to sweat, I'm sure one soaking will do compared to the fish smell.

I had a similar problem with my Bare suit and when I called them, they said to use wetsuit shampoo. I'm nowhere near a diveshop so I tried turning the suit inside out and using dish detergent. I let it dry and the smell was gone. Worked like a charm.

I like Sink-The-Stink for those really ripe, embedded smells. Like Simple Green, it's an ensign formula that really does the trick.

I too use Simple Green™ on the inside of my DS when it get ripe. Just spray it on, hose lightly and scrub with my hands until it gets bubbly, then hose off well.
It makes it smell nice for another 60 or so dives and then you do it again.

there's a product called mirazine that i found at my lds. this stuff kills the stink!!!!!!!! mix a little with water, soak the suit in it ,hang it up to dry and bingo...... no stinko!!!!!!!!

I use sink-the-stink as well. Somewhere around every 10 dives I will saturate everything in it and let it air dry--it works well. One time on a vacation, far far away from my sink-the-stink, I used my wife's Woolite. I was suprized how well it worked.

Back
Top Bottom