Still Photos or Screen Grabs off your Video Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas_shrugged

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just getting ready to use my GoPro for the first time and thinking through the details. I am historically a still photographer, where video will be mostly new to me. I wish to avoid fuddling with taking video and still shots while underwater.

How effective is taking screen grabs from your video clips to use in galleries as still shots? Or is the quality poor compared to the 12MP resolution I can get off the still shots where you still recommend to take separate and deliberate still shots.

Another question, have you ever considered leaving your regular camera at home and using the GoPro as your main/only camera for still shots as well while on vacation?

Many thanks!

I guess it's a question of what you're going to do with the images. If you're going to print or enlarge them you need all the resolution you can get. For computer screen viewing frame grabs are adequate.

Since I shoot 3D and prefer to free view I intentionally scale my still frame grabs to 600 pixels wide. The resulting image is about 6 inches wide on the computer screen, a perfect size for free viewing:

SCUBA pictures - a set on Flickr

Another consideration is whether you want to shoot macro. Still cameras are best at that, IMHO.

Screen grabs are fine to share on web sites, social media, etc. Can't say I would use the GoPro as a permanent stills camera though, although it does take great stills, it just doesn't have enough features to be a still camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom