Stiffer Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently own ScubaPro Jets and they are decent fins, but I was wondering if there is any company that makes a much stiffer version of these fins? I want more power when I kick. Dive Rite makes nice stiff fins, but I want smaller fins than that.

I used to use Jet Fins, but wanted something of the same approximate mold, but lighter. OMS Slipstreams are just that, plus a bit stiffer (personal observation). The lightness renders them more positively buoyant than Jet Fins (until you add the spring straps). All in all, great fins (but so are the Jet Fins)

I currently own ScubaPro Jets and they are decent fins, but I was wondering if there is any company that makes a much stiffer version of these fins? I want more power when I kick. Dive Rite makes nice stiff fins, but I want smaller fins than that.

What size?

I use XL jets, but also own XL OMS slipstreams and XL XS Scuba Power fins, both of which are stiffer but they do not offer any more power imo. I'm still testing them, but at least on pool dives without gear I find that the OMS fins give me about the same amount of propulsion as the jets (tentative estimate) and the Power fins give about 20% less (probably because they have slightly smaller blades).

A DM friend of mine in the Philippines used Cressi Rodines because they were the stiffest fins he knew as well as thin which made them efficient for cutting through the water sideways when loading kicks. He used an X-type scissor kick of sorts and had an awesome air consumption rate.

I'm using OMS Slipstreams as well and love them. They are stiffer than the jet fins, and I think I get more thrust out of the for the amount of energy put into the kick.

I used to dive with US Divers Rocket Fins, and they appeared to be stiffer than the Jet Fins. I have not used the recent versions, but you may ask if anyone owns a pair.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

OMS or Diverite are good choice! I dived both a lot lately and like the OMS because they are smaller, but like Jet Fins.

Diverite comes with the springs which also I like.

I dive Jet Fins for 10yrs and like the OMS more. They are stiffer and feel better like the Diverite's. Cressi Rondine's okay, Mares Quatroo Xcel okay, but Jet fin type still my faverite.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom