Stiff (neutral) fins for small feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_otter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm hoping some of the ladies here have advice. I'm looking for a set of stiffer tech fins to use for warm water wetsuit diving, but I'm having a tough time finding anything small enough to fit my feet in thinner boots.

The fins I've tried are Hollis F2 and Mares Avanti Quattro+, both in size small. Either work, but both are still a bit too large. Neither comes in a smaller size. I can make them work with very thick boots, but I'd really like to find a good fin a bit smaller without sacrificing power and control.

Anyone have any good options?

Thanks!

The UTD Precision Fins - Neutrally/Positively Buoyant are stiff fins that are about the same size and shape of the Jetfins, but with a deeper, more comfortable, well fitting foot pocket. I am technically a ladies 4.5 (size 2.5 youth) and the medium (smallest size) fit beautifully. Both the Avanti Quattro and F2's are too big for me.

They were originally designed with a 10 inch spring strap though, so I had phoned UTD and asked Andrew Georgitsus if he could send them to me with 7 inch spring straps based on my estimation of the strap being further back than on my med jetfins with 8 inch spring straps. He sent them to me with 7 inch spring straps and they were awesome. Four years later, I still absolutely love them.

I believe they now come standard with bungee straps, so you can check if you want spring straps. Not sure if your feet are as unusually small as mine, but hopefully that lets you gauge how small they can fit. You can see them at: UTD Precision Fins - Neutrally/Positively Buoyant · UTD Scuba Diving

Thanks Ayisha, that's great to know! I was looking at those but don't have a place to try them on locally (and was disappointed when I saw medium as the smallest size, but it sounds promising now!). Is the foot pocket about the same size as medium Jetfins or is it smaller?

Hi, odder. How thin of a boot are you thinking? Are you worried about having hot feet? I dive the same boots in my Avanti Quattro + in warm water as cold water and hot feet has never been an issue if that’s what you’re worried about.

Hi, odder. How thin of a boot are you thinking?

They're 5mm boots. I love them, they're super comfortable, but my F2 fins are just too big with them. I also am not thrilled with the F2s in heavy current - they don't offer a lot of force. So looking for other options. Not that I need more dive gear...

What's your shoe size? I too dive the XT's with spring strap, and also like the Deep Six fins but for sizing would be helpful to know your shoe size.

Thanks Ayisha, that's great to know! I was looking at those but don't have a place to try them on locally (and was disappointed when I saw medium as the smallest size, but it sounds promising now!). Is the foot pocket about the same size as medium Jetfins or is it smaller?

The foot pockets of the Precision fins are a little narrower/smaller than the medium jetfins. My medium jetfins even with small spring straps were flopping around on my boots a bit, causing some shin and ankle discomfort, but not as badly as the Quattros, which have a large foot pocket.

At least you're in the same country and state as UTD. :wink: I ordered them from Canada based on Andrew having someone with ladies size 5 feet try them on to make sure, plus he cut the spring straps for me. That's unfortunate that there still isn't a UTD dealer local to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom