Stickies for new UW video enthusiasts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am new to this part of the board as I just decided that after 90 dives I should get my act together and learn how to take and edit better videos. I have so many questions but I don't want to duplicate past threads. I've tried searching, but it's hard because search terms pull up all kinds of irrelevant stuff. So I'll post my questions here, but also put out a plea for stickies, in case these are evergreen questions.

For context: I am currently using a GoPro Hero 4, I forget which model. Has a touch screen.

1. Tips for taking more stable video? My videos are pretty shaky. I currently hold it in my hand with a floating handle because it fits in my BC pocket or clips off without much fuss.

2. I obviously need to add lights. What is the best article for reading up on the options for lighting rigs, pros and cons, DIY projects? This can get expensive so I need to know how much I really need to do and for what kind of diving/videography.

3. What's the best way to white-balance with a GoPro? I've read that people like to take a slate and continually do it manually. I don't understand how to do that.

4. Should I give up on taking stills with a gopro? I've tried to use the combo mode on the gopro but it didn't work right. Maybe I need two cameras??

5. Video-editing software: What will be well suited for underwater video? I would mainly want to control color, stabilization, and trimming away boring parts. I don't use a Mac and I can't install software on my work computer, so I prefer web apps if possible. Alternative would be to use my (personal) desktop, which currently is slow and old, running Windows 10. Most of what I've seen on this board is "I use X and it's ok" -- are there trustworthy comparative reviews?

6. Is underwater photo/video something you learn by reading and practicing or do I need to take a course? I tend to dislike PADI's formula for taking your $200 and running you through a set of rote skills exactly one time. I'm looking for a mentor who can answer my questions.

Oh good questions. I am just about to get myself a GoPro Hero 7 for Christmas so I would like the answers to these too.

There are no srickies in this forum - if there were they'd be at the top of the post list. There probably are some useful posts with replies for many of your specific questions.

A GoPro 4 is an older model so those questions might be further back in the post listings here.When the forum was added all the GoPro specific questions were moved to it but since then members may also have posted in the generic u/w video forum this is part of. Or the strobes/lighting forum in Photography.

I've been shooting video (non-GoPro) since around 2004 so can answer some of your generic questions.

Consider a tray with 2 handles. It's a much more stable platform and given the small size of your camera will provide more stability.Also since you're considering lights, most mount on top of the tray handles anyway - usually on some sort of arms. The idea is to increase drag thru the water as that will help smooth out your pans. Also work on maintaining neutral buoyancy during the dive as you can kick less which frequently shows up on camera - unles you're chasing something fast moving.

Here's the downside of your "floating handle" - what happens when you let it go? That reliably shows up as jerkiness on your video every time you pull it back down. Most video rigs use a combination of weighting/floats to get as neutrally buoyant as possible. My rig is just a tiny bit negative thu the dive, I like it that way. I also use a coiled lanyard so if I have to drop it, it doesn't get away - I've got about $3500 in 2004 dollars invested.

Your GoPro (all of them) shoot at an extreme wide angle so you want to buy lights to match. I believe yours (gopro 4) has a fov of 170 degrees - there are a few video lights that match that - but light from a single source can cast odd shadows - 2 are better. That also allows you to save money since they only need to be 90-100 degrees since the beams overlap.
I'm not current on what's available in lights so have no recommendation. L&M Sola's were popular at one time.

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum which is under $100. You can also do rudimentary editing with the provided GoPro program. Editing video is very processor intensive so I doubt there's an app that will be as useful due to memory limitations on most phones/tablets.

All of the program mfr's list minimum and recommended procesoor/memory/drive specifications. I've found it useful to exceed the recommended for the best results. Rendering the final output can take a long time - a decade ago sometimes overnight. Now it seems like there are $500 pc's that should work well.

I learned by dong and reading the few u/w video books available. Now most are dated. There's also a couple dated DVD's that will give you some basic ideas for composition, lighting etc. but the equipment used is obsolete for the most part and has limitations you don't. Annie Crawley authored one.

There;s also a fairly active forum over on WetPixel devoted to all things video. Some of the more successful commercial shooters hang out there.

Not a swipe at PADI but I agree, most of their instructors seem to teach the course as a specialty using the materials provided but don't shoot video for publication - it's a different set of skills. There are one or two schools/dive operations that teach uw video - one in Thailand seems to be fairly complete. I don't know of anyone I'd want to intern with here in the US - at least that accept interns/paying students since most pro's are working videographers, not teachers. It's a pretty niche market.

hth,

Hi,
I am new to this part of the board as I just decided that after 90 dives I should get my act together and learn how to take and edit better videos. I have so many questions but I don't want to duplicate past threads. I've tried searching, but it's hard because search terms pull up all kinds of irrelevant stuff. So I'll post my questions here, but also put out a plea for stickies, in case these are evergreen questions.

For context: I am currently using a GoPro Hero 4, I forget which model. Has a touch screen.

1. Tips for taking more stable video? My videos are pretty shaky. I currently hold it in my hand with a floating handle because it fits in my BC pocket or clips off without much fuss.

I’m going to agree with diversteve. Your best choice for a stable platform is a tray with two handles. I prefer slightly larger handles that are easier to hold and don’t tire my hands on long dives.

The GoPro 4 doesn’t have built in stabilization so you need to work on steady hands and good buoyancy. Also, like a lot of things in scuba, move slowly. Fast or jerky movements are amplified by the camera. The new GoPro 7 has amazing stabilization built in. I upgraded from a 4+ to the 7 just for the stabilization and better low light results.

Final suggestion for steady video, frog kick. I’ve seen a number a people with shoulder and hip movement when they flutter kick.

2. I obviously need to add lights. What is the best article for reading up on the options for lighting rigs, pros and cons, DIY projects? This can get expensive so I need to know how much I really need to do and for what kind of diving/videography.

Lights will make a huge difference in the quality of your video. Some people shoot with one light but if you can afford it, two lights work much better. You will get nice even light without the strong cast shadows. You camera will also be more balanced and easier to keep steady.

Over the last few years lights have gotten much better and the prices have come way down. Two things that I look for with new lights: rechargeable batteries and variable output. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you travel to you dive destinations it really is nice to have all your gear on the same battery size. My narrow beam flashlights and my video lights all use the same size. Keeps everything simple. The variable output will help you to light correctly and provide you with more battery life if you don’t need all the lumens. Two or three settings is enough (100%, 50%, 25%).

The lights will usually attach to the top of the handles on the camera tray. When I first started shooting video, the first set of arms I purchased for my lights were too short. A lot of my early video had a lot of very well lit sand and silt floating in the water. My lights were almost directly over the camera. As you push the lights to the sides, you will get more even lighting and the floating particulate in the water will get less obvious.

3. What's the best way to white-balance with a GoPro? I've read that people like to take a slate and continually do it manually. I don't understand how to do that.

4. Should I give up on taking stills with a gopro? I've tried to use the combo mode on the gopro but it didn't work right. Maybe I need two cameras??

With either the video or the stills you need to consider what your final output is going to be. Are you going to watch the video on your phone or try to print out poster sized stills? I primarily watch my videos on my iPad. I film at a resolution that makes sense. No need to shoot at 4K. I almost always pull screenshots for photos,from my video instead of taking dedicated stills. They will not work for quality prints but are perfect for my phone.

5. Video-editing software: What will be well suited for underwater video? I would mainly want to control color, stabilization, and trimming away boring parts. I don't use a Mac and I can't install software on my work computer, so I prefer web apps if possible. Alternative would be to use my (personal) desktop, which currently is slow and old, running Windows 10. Most of what I've seen on this board is "I use X and it's ok" -- are there trustworthy comparative reviews?

6. Is underwater photo/video something you learn by reading and practicing or do I need to take a course? I tend to dislike PADI's formula for taking your $200 and running you through a set of rote skills exactly one time. I'm looking for a mentor who can answer my questions.

You can learn on your own, but there is more trial and error. Having said that, those lessons tend to stick better when you figure it out. Also, keep in mind that practice matters. I notice a big difference in quality when I’m out of the water for a few months or improvements by day 4 or 5 of a week long dive trip.

Remember to enjoy yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom