Steps Beach!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renalea

Registered
Reaction score
My husband, myself, and grown son and daughter were in San Juan, Puerto Rico, moving my daughter there to attend Optometry school. We knew we wouldn't have time to do any diving, but took our masks, snorkels, and fins just in case we found a place to get wet. We had visited Fajardo last March, so we took one day and drove over to Rincon this time. The drive over was awful, with heavy stop and go traffic most of the 80 miles. It took over 3 hours to get there. We found what is know as "Steps Beach", part of Tres Palmas Marine Reserve, names for the concrete steps sitting on the beach! The snorkeling was AMAZING! We haven't seen that much Elkhorn coral anywhere else in the Caribbean. It was huge and plentiful. We later learned that they're using this coral to recolonize elkhorn in other parts of the Caribbean. We also saw plenty of fish and the largest puffer we've ever seen! Totally enjoyed the snorkel and can't wait to go back and spend a few days diving the area.

Puerto Rico is the hidden diving destination in the Caribbean. I am was born and raised there. I go back every year. However it is not for the typical diver tourist...If you are lokking for a "a la carte" diving service in the island, look somewhere else. In my humble opinion the best diving is in the SW of the island. I have posted several post regarding this topic. Let me know if I can help you in any way...

Thanks, Ginovega. We are hoping to have more time for diving during our future visits to PR. Our daughter doesn't dive and since we'll be there mainly to visit her, we have to plan around that issue! We're looking forward to spending a few days on Culebra Island next, then, sometime in the future, venture over to the SW side. All that driving and traffic doesn't set well with my husband, who is a crusty old diver who likes to get off the plane, step onto the boat, and dive! If you have suggestions on dive charters and cheap lodging in Culebra and Vieques, that would be a great help!

Back
Top Bottom