Stepping up from Sony Action cam to Full frame (FX3). Too much of a jump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsuyoshi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I been shooting videos for several years with a Sony action cam Fdrx3000 and Gopro. Recently added a insta360 x2.

The action cam is just not doing it for me any more w limited zoom and battery capacity.

I had been holding off hoping eventually a compact or subcompact cameral that can do 4k60fps to no avail. Even the newest A6600 is limited to 4k30fps.

Sony FX3 got me a bit excited w it able to fo 4k60fps. But it is still big and heavy to lug around.

It seems to be the most compact cam at the moment able to make 4k60p at the moment. So I been thinking of getting it w a Seafrog housing (keeping the cost down) pair up w Kraken 8000 lights. Mostly will be for close up anr macros. May be occasional wide angle.

Am I taking too big of leap?

It is a pretty big "leap" as you put it.

I went from GoPro to Panasonic LX10 to Sony a6400 to Sony a7rIV. It doesn't mean I couldn't have saved a bunch of money and went to FF right away, but I also wasn't sure I wanted to spend that kind of time and energy on photography. As it is, I still sometimes use and prefer the footprint of the a6400 over the a7rIV setup.

I'm more of a still photo shooter but you might want to check out the Panasonic GH5 Mark II or the GH6. I think the GH5 M2 will do 4k 50/60 and the GH6 will do 4k60. You might want to also post to Wetpixel.

- brett

It is a pretty big "leap" as you put it.

I went from GoPro to Panasonic LX10 to Sony a6400 to Sony a7rIV. It doesn't mean I couldn't have saved a bunch of money and went to FF right away, but I also wasn't sure I wanted to spend that kind of time and energy on photography. As it is, I still sometimes use and prefer the footprint of the a6400 over the a7rIV setup.

I'm more of a still photo shooter but you might want to check out the Panasonic GH5 Mark II or the GH6. I think the GH5 M2 will do 4k 50/60 and the GH6 will do 4k60. You might want to also post to Wetpixel.

- brett
Thanks for chiming in re ur experiences. I was hoping the Sony A6000 series would eventually get up in the 4k60p count. But doesn't seem like that is happening w the newer A6600. So far FX3 seem to be the smaller size but still quite massive esp w all that added

Hi. It would be intersting to hear, how the story ends. Did you eventually go for Fx3? I just added FX3 to my gear and plan to do some dives this week.

FAC7BCCA-A829-4306-A572-A439F7E7CC21.jpeg

Hi. It would be intersting to hear, how the story ends. Did you eventually go for Fx3? I just added FX3 to my gear and plan to do some dives this week.

View attachment 768133
Greg, Nice setup. I have an FX3 also and your setup is exactly what I am looking at doing. If you have time, let me know your thoughts on the FX3/Nauticam/Ninja setup.

Once I get through paying for my Meg (ouch!!) the camera is next on my list. Also, what lenses are you using??

I do use 16-35/f2.8 GM lens. I do shoot wrecks, so the main setup is for that kind of footage. I also use Nikon Z9, however Fx3 has faster and more accurate focus. There could be some issues with overheating, but it’s random. Battery life on Sony is low, you need to change it every dive, which is not easy, as you need to disconnect the lens to move the body out. not the best option when on a smaller boat. Other option is to turn of the camera during dive to save battery.

Ninja works well, as soon you calibrate the display. some functions are not available, which annoys me a bit, especially you can not remove the ninja controls from screen, as it requires a click in the middle of the screen and this is not supported in the hauticam housing.

the basic setup requires two big floats and 2 lbs weight at the doom to have the camera balanced and zero gravity.

I use CF Express A cards with 320-640 Gb capacity and this allows few hours in full 4K/100fps 10 bit resolution.

Feel free to ask in case you have more questions.

I do use 16-35/f2.8 GM lens. I do shoot wrecks, so the main setup is for that kind of footage. I also use Nikon Z9, however Fx3 has faster and more accurate focus. There could be some issues with overheating, but it’s random. Battery life on Sony is low, you need to change it every dive, which is not easy, as you need to disconnect the lens to move the body out. not the best option when on a smaller boat. Other option is to turn of the camera during dive to save battery.

Ninja works well, as soon you calibrate the display. some functions are not available, which annoys me a bit, especially you can not remove the ninja controls from screen, as it requires a click in the middle of the screen and this is not supported in the hauticam housing.

the basic setup requires two big floats and 2 lbs weight at the doom to have the camera balanced and zero gravity.

I use CF Express A cards with 320-640 Gb capacity and this allows few hours in full 4K/100fps 10 bit resolution.

Feel free to ask in case you have more questions.
Thanks for the feedback, I have that same lens. Was worried it might be a little too big, good to know.

Those CF Type A cards are incredibly pricey... Oh well, there goes another paycheck.. ;-)

I recently reduced the recommended distance ring from 70 mm to 50 mm. Going to test this setup. It shortens the overall dome extension from the body. with lower weight and shorter momentum arm.

image.jpg

I was holding out for the FX30 to see if overall size will be smaller with a lower cost. Looks like housing size is the same. Still on the fence since I mostly travel to tropical water and luggage weight is starting to become a problem w my current amount of gear. How are you guys hauling these for flights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom