Step 1...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am officially 1 step closer now to be considered a "vintage diver" today... my Aqua Lung DA Aqua Master showed up from VintageDoubleHose.com, and let me tell ya, she's a beaut. I am REALLY looking forward to taking it diving, I'm just waiting to see if one of the 3 LP72s that I sent in pass hydro. I do have a couple of Newbie questions however, funny enough, double hose regulators arent even covered in my Advanced Open Water Class...

1.) Is there a DON'T EVER DO THAT to a double hose reg, like breathing without being pressurized?

2.) Without a purge, how difficult is it to clear the reg with the valves in the mouth piece (I'm imagining all you do is blow out, but as I said earlier...) I know without the valves, one would need to roll to create a bubble in the breathing tube.

3.) How much "vintage" dive equipment do I need to be wearing for my NAVED photo?

Now all I need to do is find a J-valve manifold for my 72s to scare my Trimix instructor.

Aloha Fishboy
Never use a higher than rated pressure tank, stick with the 2250 psi tanks.
Remember you can clear the reg by raising the mouthpeice sharply over your head toward the surface, causing a freeflow.
For the photo, your double hose reg would be nice, and perhaps a nice big mask on your forhead.
Aloha Turtleguy9

Remember the sheet I passed out with all the links on it? On the back it shows how to clear the reg.

as Roger said, in the pictures you need to be wearing vintage gear, no BCD, maybe a horse collar, vintage mask...in the water (entering or exiting) makes the best picture. When you send it in be sure to send the full res, uncropped picture.

NAVED cards and membership are applied for through the NAVED web page currently under construction. There are guidelines and requirments that must be met but they are easy for anyone really interested in vintage diving. There is a link to the NAVED web page from vintagedoublehose.com forums, the web page is still being developed.

I suggest you find a pre 1970 scuba text and study it. The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving, say about 1968 or older.

Double hose regulators are position sensitive (some more than other), tanks must be worn low--very low by todays standards, and close to the back as possible. Clearing is easy actually as long as the cage valves are in good shape and can be done by holding the moutpiece over the head (higher than the box assembly) or by rolling etc.

Yes, there are real differences that must be accounted for but most are subtle. Try it out in a pool or a very controlled area. It wil take some time to accustom yourself to the different breathing cycle and characteristics and how to take advantage of them.

The best source of vintage diving info is available at the forums at vintagescubasupply.com and vintagedoublehose.com.

N

There is a thread on the Vintage Scuba Supply site reguarding clearing a double hose.

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=instruction&action=display&thread=1068753212

I find simply rolling on my back starts a freeflow and that does the trick. You'll find that if you swim slightly feet down that the reg will breath better. I have a Pico address DA and its a sweet breathing reg. The best of my collection so far. I have a Nemrod Snark III coming in and that one is supposed to be one of the best. Can't wait to try it.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom