Steel vs aluminum in cold water ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchmanjc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am in the process of switching from a stab jacket bc to a Hog rig. I dive primarily in the Socal area and always wear 7mm suit. I purchased a steel back plate and am wondering about steel vs aluminum tank. I usually dive a barrowed NB aluminum 80, but am considering steel 100.

I have read threads on bouyancy issues with steel tanks in OOA situations, but I am not interested in tech or doubles, just a little more air & less weight on the belt as a rec diver.

Anyone dive 7mm wetsuit, single steel tank, bp/w, Socal area? How much lead are you carrying?

I weigh 186lbs. In my jacket rig I carry 6lbs on AL tank & 22lbs on a belt. I look forward to taking some of that off in the new Hog rig.

Thanks for your comments!

Unimportant what you use as the tank is proofed,for cold water is best a staiontionery

compressor over the water,and use the bottel as emergency option,those we det

on a trip to the old german warmarine outpost on the German Kronprinzesin Marta

Ilands in the antartic,from a treader manrineship years ago,it real usefuel when you

will be long down , that you compress warm air to the diver.

E.L.7*

I'm diving the same spots you are most likely :) I wear a 12 lb. bp/w with 12lbs of lead on a belt, 8mm Quad wetsuit, and steel 85's. When I use Alum. I add two more pounds to the belt. I think I'm using too much weight as it is and am trying to reduce it each time I go out. Don't mind getting the practice though.

i use the HP steel 100s and love them. The 85 are nice to but i love my steel 100s. i was able to take 6 lb. off my weight belt with this tank when i switch from steel 72s. when i used AL 80s used about 2 lb. more than when i used the steel 72s. The steel 100 is probably the best tank on the market. my friend has two lp 85 and the weight more than my still 100s. i use a 8,7,6 mm Excel wet suit for most of my diving and don't find them to be two negative when you start the dive and i an not so light at the end that i float up at 15 on my safety stop.

As for OOA situation if you can not kick your self up off the bottom than you are not weighted properly and have to much weight on you weight belt. plus if you do find you self in that situation you can still drop your weight belt and kick up.

watchmanjc:
I am in the process of switching from a stab jacket bc to a Hog rig. I purchased a steel back plate and am wondering about steel vs aluminum tank ... aluminum 80, but am considering steel 100. Anyone dive 7mm wetsuit, single steel tank, bp/w, Socal area? How much lead are you carrying? In my jacket rig I carry 6lbs on AL tank & 22lbs on a belt.
Part of your initial adjustment will simply be to trying dropping some weight based on buoyancy differences of the plate vs the jacket BC. AND, buoyancy differences between tanks, if you switch, allow more to be dropped. This will be independent of where you dive (although you Socal guys who wear those 7mm wetsuits all the time do seem to carry a bit more lead anyway than us 'east coasters' in 3mm :wink:). For example, most jackets are going to be slightly positive, but even assuming they are neutral, and you switch to a 6lb SS BP with a simple web harness, you will be able to drop ~6 lbs from your belt. Going from an AL80 to a HP steel 100 will allow you to drop another 5-6 lbs, based on the respective empty buoyancies of the two tanks (+4.4 with the AL80, going to -1.0 with the HP100). Bottom line is, in addition to the ease advantage of the BP/W, the trim advantage (which you have already mentioned), you get a weight-drop advantage. You may be able to drop 10-12 lbs just on the basis of a different rig, and a different tank.

A single steel tank will work well with a 7mm wetsuit. If you use a steel tank and a steel backplate with a 3mm wetsuit or a shorty you will be dangerously overweighted. This is from a freshwater perspective. It will be different in salt-water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom