steel versus stainless steel for adapters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djshaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am buying some NTP adapters for my breather. I'm sourcing some of the adapters from a local Parker distributor. The adapter I'm looking at comes in a Steel and Stainless Steel variety. The difference between the two is over $100. Are the steel parts sufficient? Or do I need to stick with a high grade stainless?

The parts I'm looking at are
* 6-1/4 F5OF-SS
* 6-1/4 F5OF-S

I am buying some NTP adapters for my breather. I'm sourcing some of the adapters from a local Parker distributor. The adapter I'm looking at comes in a Steel and Stainless Steel variety. The difference between the two is over $100. Are the steel parts sufficient? Or do I need to stick with a high grade stainless?

The parts I'm looking at are
* 6-1/4 F5OF-SS
* 6-1/4 F5OF-S

they're NPT not NTP, but you want stainless or brass for this if it's going into a rebreather.

Is this to get rid of the QC4 on the oxygen supply for a meg?

Not on the oxygen supply (though I've bough Tylok QC-6 for my BOV). The components will be used to attach to the QC-6 to regulator hoses.

Not on the oxygen supply (though I've bough Tylok QC-6 for my BOV). The components will be used to attach to the QC-6 to regulator hoses.
Why are you even thinking of plain steel? That is totally unsuitable for anything in diving.

Omniswivel makes what you need and they are not $100 even in CDN

NPT to Scuba Adapters | Dive Gear Express®

1/4 NPT Male to 9/16 Male , Piranha Dive Shop |

chrome plated brass. $6 each. Hopefully you ordered the QC6's in female NPT otherwise you'll need a brass or stainless lesbian adapter or get creative

Start here
3/8-24 Male TO 1/4
then get one of these
Adapter 3/8-24 Female to 9/16-18 male , Piranha Dive Shop |

Alternatively you can email Omniswivel and ask them really nicely if they'll make you a few. Either way they'll be cheaper than the SS parts from Parker

The DGX version of the part (DGX Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = 9/16-Inch M | Dive Gear Express®) is priced the same as the steel Parker adapter. I would expect that if DGX was able to produce the part so much cheaper than Parker, that Parker would be forced to lower their price to complete

that implies that Parker cares about scuba diving, but the DGX version is also chrome plated brass and made in Taiwan. Parkers are machined in the US and they sell to industrial customers. Completely different market. Stainless is very irritating to machine and they don't sell a lot of them so you're paying for that. Brass is easy to machine and DGX will order a thousand of those adapters in a lot, not anything you can reasonably compare.

stainless lesbian adapter
You might want use the standard terminology of Female-to-Female adapter to allow it to be looked up on supplier's websites.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom