Steel versus Aluminium Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupert Vidion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am looking to get my first backplate and harness rig for diving. Given that I will be diving double steels rather than double aluminiums should I go for an aluminium backplate rather than stainless steel?

Cheers,

Rupert

Depends on where/ what you are diving. If you are diving cold salt water w/ thick undergarments, you may want to stick w/ steel for the ballast. Anything else, you will likely want an AL plate for steel doubles. Also, if you have specific trim weighting needs, AL allows you to move more weight around without overweighting yourself. I started w/ steel with my first singles rig, then picked up an AL plate about 6 months after I went to doubles, and now I use both depending on what/ where I am diving;

AL singles- Steel BP
St dingles- AL BP
AL doubles- Steel BP
St doubles in fresh water (warm or cold)- AL BP (+ trim weights)
St doubles in warm salt water- AL BP
St doubles in cold salt water- Steel BP

These are used in combination w/ appropriate thermal protection (wet and dry). With each of these configurations, I don't need ditchable weight. It will take some time to figure out exactly what you need, so the best thing to do is spend some time w/ trial and error. AL is probably more flexible since you can always throw on a weight belt if you need the extra ballast, but not as easy to get overweighted as with steel.

AL singles- Steel BP
St dingles- AL BP
AL doubles- Steel BP
St doubles in fresh water (warm or cold)- AL BP (+ trim weights)
St doubles in warm salt water- AL BP
St doubles in cold salt water- Steel BP
Word. Just keep in mind it is only a 5# differential. So it is no big deal. So if you are flying somewhere take the AL and then compensate. On regular dives, eliminating weight on the belt is always good. :)

For me it was all about absolutely minimizing the weight of the setup for walking around on land.....once I get to the waters edge or the dive boat then weights can be added........

Aluminum is also cheaper........:)

M

I have both AL and a steel BP and dive (steel) doubles as well as AL singles.
I find the steel bp more useful because unless i use my steel doubles in fresh water I need extra weight. even in fresh water I need extra weight when I bring (and use) a stage).
My guess is that it really depends on how you dive- how much air you like/use in your suit, how much gear you bring down with you, and last but certainly not least, what your body comp is like. Perhaps you can borrow one of each and see what works for you.
Rgds
WeekendDiver

For me, the only real benefit of Ali is for traveling/weight allowances on flights etc. Most people need the extra weight of a steel backplate, as it removes weights from your belt.

Having said that, using my Eclipse single cylinder and 3mm full suit, with Ali backplate, my buoyancy is ok without any additional weights.

Before investing...work out your buoyancy requirements with the rig you will be using. Then opt for the most optimal backplate weight based on those requirements. If you can use steel (and won't be paying for it in excess airline baggage regularly) then go for steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom