steel tank help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Found a used steel tank on craigslist... What are some questions I should ask before buying it. Never owned my own tanks before. All I know right now is that it's steel and needs hydro ... Guy only wants $35 but I don't want to drive an hour and pay $35 for a junk tank.

You won't know if it is a junk tank until you get a visual inspection and a hydro, but you can ask some questions about the valve.

What kind of valve does the tank have? If you dive DIN and it's a Yoke, that would be a problem.

Next, will you need to get it O2 cleaned for partial pressure blending of Nitrox? Well, if so, you have another valve concern. Many older tanks have a different size opening for the valve. This is important because when you get a tank O2 cleaned, the valve gets rebuilt. Many of the valves on Genesis tanks no longer have valve rebuild kits. If you can't get a rebuild kit for your older valve, you may have to buy a new valve. If your new bottle has an exotic valve, you may have a failed project on your hands. So... research the brand and make sure the bottle and valve can be made to work with your needs.

Might as well make sure it doesn't have a funky J-Valve, unless you like that retro adventure diving.

If you are a DIR kinda diver, you will already have many preferences for valve types (no hard plastic or metal knobs. Short, hard rubber knobs preferred)

If you get a look at the cylinder, give it a good look. If it is galvanized, great! No scratches are permitted in the galvanized coating, no rust.
Look for rust all over, especially at the neck where the valve joins the bottle. Make sure the bottle and valve are not loose. Make sure that there are not any stickers or bands that impede your ability to inspect for rust. If the tank is painted, make sure that none of the paint is bubbled up. Be wary of anything that can hide rust- look under everyting.

Be happy if the tank has air pressure in it, but never discount that the seller may have put a little air in the bottle just before you arrived.

You cannot count on using used bottles to build a doubles set- so assume that this bottle will be used as a single.

That's about it. Good luck.

An hour for $35 tank is pretty risky. But get some pictures, the size, brand and date of manufacture - maybe its a really great find but I doubt it. There is a reason its only $35.

Ask for all the markings on the shoulder, that will help in identifying the born date, MFG, pressure, and maybe the capacity. If you don't know what those mean.. you can do some research. The manufacturer ID would really narrow down the research. If the tank is older than 5 years, be sure to look for other hydro dates.

Finding hydro dates about every 5 years is a good indication the tank has been used and maintained. Stickers or labels applied to the outside of the tank may give a clue as to the maintenance that has been done. Pressure in the tank is a clue that it has not sat empty with an open valve. As for them asking $35, does not mean anything. Sometimes people take the easy button to their detriment. It is not my job to educate them.

I bought a Faber 133cf HP and combo valve, that was two years old, clean as a whistle when I pulled the valve, and looked like hell. The seller bought it from someone who yucked it up with with "clown" coat... the cold spray galvanize, you have to be a clown to use it!... . Once I removed that (removed with mild paint stripper that did not touch the original paint), and touched up the purty white epoxy... I had a $450 for $177.

Thanks for all the advice!

Probably a steel 72, they are worth about 25 when out of hydro. Worth about 75 in hydro and visit.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

The shoulder markings are quite important as I have seen a number of steel tanks advertised that were actually Aluminum, not to mention advertising the wrong size tank. Most of the mislabeling problems are because the person selling them is not a diver.

Even if you do your research and spend some time looking at tanks, buying a tank that is not in Hydro and viz is a gamble so act accordingly. Factor in your cost of Hydro, Viz and possibly a tumble, so you don't wind up paying more than the tank is worth in good shape. I've had good luck with old steel 72's as most think they are too small, I've seen them given away.

You might try posting on Craigslist under looking for SCUBA tanks.

Good Luck

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

The guy got sh!tty with me when I asked for pics....guess I'll keep looking. Already tried a web scuba tanks post.. No replys. Thanks for all the good advice though.

Back
Top Bottom