Steel Tank - 0 PSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Morning,

I just got a HP 120 steel tank back from viz last week. It was in my car until last night when I brought it inside for storage. I noticed the DIN valve knob moved when I put it down, but I heard nothing coming out. I checked it with my SPG and saw it is down to 0 PSI. It must have bled off while in the car. (A guess...).

What would you recommend I do with the tank? Does it need another viz, or what?

Cheers.

shadragon:
Morning,

I just got a HP 120 steel tank back from viz last week. It was in my car until last night when I brought it inside for storage. I noticed the DIN valve knob moved when I put it down, but I heard nothing coming out. I checked it with my SPG and saw it is down to 0 PSI. It must have bled off while in the car. (A guess...).

What would you recommend I do with the tank? Does it need another viz, or what?

Cheers.
did you have it refilled after the vis? You shouldn't need to have another vis as long as you make sure that the tank is COMPLETELY dry before filling.

I'd take it back to the shop that did the vis and tell them the deal. If they need to do a vis before filling, they are not likely to charge you.

I'd take it back to the shop. I'd probably pull the valve and check the O-ring. If its good, re-install and put a couple hundred PSI of scuba air in to dry the tank then bleed it out. Repeated a couple times, then a normal air fill.

This happened to me once after a VIP'd a tank. It had an O-ring not seat correctly and get a nick in it that caused a slow leak (I think). New O-ring, no problem.

shadragon:
but I heard nothing coming out. I checked it with my SPG and saw it is down to 0 PSI.

Why did you need to put an SPG on it when nothing was coming out with the valve open? :confused:

paulwlee:
Why did you need to put an SPG on it when nothing was coming out with the valve open? :confused:

When I cracked the valve nothing came out so I shut it down immediately. It may have been a problem with the valve on the tank so I put my SPG on it before opening the valve all the way just in case it did let go in a blast. Safety first...

shadragon:
When I cracked the valve nothing came out so I shut it down immediately. It may have been a problem with the valve on the tank so I put my SPG on it before opening the valve all the way just in case it did let go in a blast. Safety first...

Just as an FYI. In the future, think about this. If it was a 'clog' of debris and you were able to dislodge it with full pressure - Do you really want to blow that into your reg rather than into the normal atmosphere?

Bring it back and explain, I would imagine whatever needs to be done will end up being complimentary at this point.

Back
Top Bottom