Steel LP77, XS Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danseur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I inherited a good 6-10 of these.

In good shape, but out of hydro (totally will pass). I'm contemplating:

-Selling. What are these worth?
-Doubles subbing for AL80s that I use now
-Deco/Stage bottles for ocean/helium
-Smaller sidemount, but meeting minimum needs for cave

Lighter and less buoyant than an AL80 (+7# less up the ladder, each).

Shorter in length. Same diameter.

Same capacity, but can fill "properly" where appropriate and available. (If it's not for you, it's a non-point other than identical volume at 2640 vs 3000).

What would you do?

Some of each?

Thanks,

Justin

value depends on access to overfills. if you get them overfilled to 3400 psi+, they can be treated like hp100s. the buoyancy is better for cold water doubles than al80s.

I might be interested to buy one from you.

Take a look and see if the REE is stamped on the tank. If not, some places (most?) won't do a plus hydro to allow the 10% overfill to 2640 psi. That's necessary to get a full fill to capacity. I learned that the hard way. One of my tanks would only get a 2400 psi fill because they wouldn't plus test it even though I knew the REE number.

I far prefer the steel tanks. Not only lighter but because of the buoyancy (zero or negative when empty) you need less lead. It was me I'd sell a few to cover the hydro for the rest. I'd keep as many as I could.

As far as price - I got mine for $50 each. Out of hydro they're not as desirable. You might get a bit more depending on running into someone that wants steel tanks and if they have the REE.

I have no problem getting a + rating.

Thanks for the good input.

Might be donating a chunk to the NY Harbor School.

HISTORY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom