steel LP 77 overfills .. question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
i have finally found a dive shop that will overfill my Worthington LP77 steel tanks (xs scubatanks)
for my own benefit...
how much of an overfill is possible/normal/common safe practice ??
how long before the dive do you get your overfills, same day, or fill and store them for a day or two in a cool place ??
anything else i should know ??
thanks guys for the info

3500 or even 3600 is common with the LP Worthington tanks. There any many threads describing in detail the safety of this issue.
Some operators throw the tank into a cold water pool and fill the tank. Not uncommon for the tank to gain pressure after it warms up. So the answer to your 2nd question really depends on the LDS operator and how they fill tanks.

how long before the dive do you get your overfills, same day, or fill and store them for a day or two in a cool place ??

First it does not matter the size of the steel tank for overfill.

I fill my steel 72, 77 and 85s at 3500 psi it may be weeks, or months before I use them. If I slow down over the winter and I know I am not going to dive - I will drain them down to 2440 which is the working pressure.

The other point is not storing them in a cool place but a consistent temperature - if it happens to be cool that is fine. What you do not want is to bring them in from 100 degrees and putting them on a 56 degree floor - it may cause condensation and that will rust the tank on the inside. Keep them out of the sun and in a consistent temperature when storing... I don't store tanks in my garage because I live in the northeast and we can have large swings in temperature and my garage is unheated / cooled.

Good luck.

First it does not matter the size of the steel tank for overfill.

I fill my steel 72, 77 and 85s at 3500 psi it may be weeks, or months before I use them. If I slow down over the winter and I know I am not going to dive - I will drain them down to 2440 which is the working pressure.

The other point is not storing them in a cool place but a consistent temperature - if it happens to be cool that is fine. What you do not want is to bring them in from 100 degrees and putting them on a 56 degree floor - it may cause condensation and that will rust the tank on the inside. Keep them out of the sun and in a consistent temperature when storing... I don't store tanks in my garage because I live in the northeast and we can have large swings in temperature and my garage is unheated / cooled.

Good luck.
You're filling a 3AA2250+ LP72 to 3500? You're brave.
Or are these 3AA3000+ "midpressure" 72s?

For the OP - its fairly common to fill 3AA2400+ rated cylinders to 3600psi. You can store them at that temp indefinitely BUT the burst disks are only rated to 4000psi unless you replace them with a higher pressure disk or put in steel blanks. If you are stuck with 4000psi burst disks you might stick to 3000-3200psi fills, especially if you need to transport them in a hot car.

3500 or even 3600 is common with the LP Worthington tanks. There any many threads describing in detail the safety of this issue.
Some operators throw the tank into a cold water pool and fill the tank. Not uncommon for the tank to gain pressure after it warms up. So the answer to your 2nd question really depends on the LDS operator and how they fill tanks.

C...

Being fill station certified...

As an example...if a LP cylinder has a 2450 PSI WP...it should be filled to 2450 PSI...if the same cylinder has a +10% stamp..then the fill operator...may fill it to 2695 PSI...that's it...

If the owner of the cylinder requires more gas volume...then he/she should be purchasing larger capacity cylinders...or consider becoming rebreather certified...SCR...10 times more efficient than open circuit...CCR...40 times more efficient than open circuit...

What is possible is one thing...anything over and above ''safe standard industry practice'' not authorized by the manufacturer is wrong....

Any shop/certified fill station operator who is knowingly over-filling cylinders by as much as 1000 PSI should be reported and have their certifications revoked...any insurer would cancel policies if it was known over-filling cylinders was common practice in a business for which they were providing accident/liability insurance...

Those of you who are gnashing your teeth while reading this post...I'm not really interested in knowing how long you have been over-filling your cylinders without incident...wrong is still wrong...incident free or not...

W...

You're filling a 3AA2250+ LP72 to 3500? You're brave.

I am brave... And I can stay down a long time on a pair of 72's... lol

I keep my W85s filled up to 3700. When I am not diving, they are in a climate controlled room. They have been through one hydro with no issues.

C...

As an example...if a LP cylinder has a 2450 PSI WP...it should be filled to 2450 PSI...if the same cylinder has a +10% stamp..then the fill operator...may fill it to 2695 PSI...that's it...

If the owner of the cylinder requires more gas volume...then he/she should be purchasing larger capacity cylinders...or consider becoming rebreather certified...SCR...10 times more efficient than open circuit...CCR...40 times more efficient than open circuit...

What is possible is one thing...anything over and above ''safe standard industry practice'' not authorized by the manufacturer is wrong....

Any shop/certified fill station operator who is knowingly over-filling cylinders by as much as 1000 PSI should be reported and have their certifications revoked...any insurer would cancel policies if it was known over-filling cylinders was common practice in a business for which they were providing accident/liability insurance...

Those of you who are gnashing your teeth while reading this post...I'm not really interested in knowing how long you have been over-filling your cylinders without incident...wrong is still wrong...incident free or not...

W...
One of those might blow up. It COULD happen!

C...

W...
Please note: I am NOT advocating such practices. I am stating what is being done in some areas.

Back
Top Bottom