Steel E7-100 tanks worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
What the deal on the "E7 -100" steel tanks? They seem to be 80 cu.ft. tanks with a higher fill level, to 3442 psi instead of 2640 psi on the standard. How does a higher pressure make this a 100 cu.ft. tank? Aren't they just saying that with the extra air pressure you can fit in as much air as you could in a "real" 100 tank?
Also, is anyone finding real life fills on boats above 3000 psi, because if not, it looks like only about a 10% improvement over the standard tank.
Thanks for any info, including telling me I've completely misunderstood it all <s>.

I own two and they're WONDERFUL.

I fill myself in my garage (own my own compressor and do my own Nitrox) and IMHO the HP100 (E7-100) is nearly the perfect single tank Nitrox setup.

It has enough gas to do most dives to the NDL, especially deeper ones, even if you hoover a bit, its slightly negative empty, so you can take weight off your belt, but not such a BEAST that hauling it around or diving it is a PITA, and its shorter than an AL80.

You couldn't wrestle mine away from me.

I just bought two E8-119's and like them a lot. Good price on them too. The one problem that could potentially be a factor would be the DOT stamp without a TC stamp on them. The problem could potentially occur if you travel into Canada with these tanks. I have been told that most places in Canada will fill them but they don't have to because they don't have the TC (Transportation Canada) stamp on them. If you don't plan on taking them to Canada, then no problem. I don't think I will run into much problems with this though.
The cubic foot volume refers to the amount of gas it holds at 1ATA so they are not misleading you in any way. The higher the pressure the more air inside. So at 2640psi they hold 80cf and at 3442psi they hold 100cf. AT 3000psi they hold 90cf of gas. (E7-100)
The hot dipped galvanizing is a great finish in my opinion as well. They still need to be rinsed off, but are easier to keep a solid finish on them.
Here is a link for the tank specs.
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PS...ies Tanks.htm

E7-100 is similar to old HP-100, major differences being service pressure and the neck thread size.

Service pressure is down to 3442PSI, which allows yoke fittings and 3/4-14 neck thread. Hence, there are more valve/manifold choices.

What cracks me up is that PST still has not updated their www.pstscuba.com web site...

Great tanks. I just picked up my E7-100 on Friday with an E7-80 for my wife. We got three dives on it and it's nice. I'm actually contemplating picking up another two...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom