Steel 80 Doubles or 130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennster

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently bought 9 PST 80 Steel tanks for my boys and I (I got extras for when we take boat trips). They are 14 (twins) and I have been going through my air quite a bit faster than they do. I was wondering if it would make more sense for me to get a 130 Steel tank to help even the dive times, or to get the double kit for my oceanic Excursion BC and use 2 80 steels? We dive in the pacific northwest with drysuits. All 3 of us are only recently certified.

Thanks,

Ken

I'd say a single 130, it costs half as much to get filled...unless shops around you charge by the cu ft.

I'd definitely stay with a single tank, if you are a new diver. The 130s are nice tanks to dive -- they're long enough to trim out nicely on most people.

On the other hand, there are probably some things you could do to improve your gas consumption. If you would ever like to meet up for a dive and get some tips on this, I'd be happy to help.

We dive in the pacific northwest with drysuits. All 3 of us are only recently certified.

For me this is key. You already spent some coin on cylinders. Rather than pissing more away on yet another cylinder or two or money on bands and a manifold I would get some more dives under your belt. You will probably find that as you get more comfortable in the water and with using your dry suit that you will use less air. At that point you might find that your air usage is similar to your kids.

The other reason I recommend this approach is because no information has been provided on what the differences are in your air usage. If you are using say 2000psi and your kids 1500 psi I would not worry about it.

Since you are a new diver I wouldn't suggest doubles. It could compound everything.

I'd much rather dive twin HP80's than a single 130. Doubles feel so much more stable than a large single.

Doubles are not really any more difficult to dive.

Double 130s!!!! eventually......... =)

Small set of doubles are really nice. Don't load it up with multiple regulators and the other DIR stuff. If you need redundant air get some kind of AIR Source device for your BC. Don't add any weights higher than your waist like steel plates and so on. Attach a whistle to your BC.

One other thing you might want to consider is your choice of BC. YOu mention that you have an Excursion. I have this BC and use it for dives with my students, both in the pool and OW. For this the BC is more than adequate. There is a 'kit' to allow doubles to be mounted, but it is not truly a doubles BC. The hard pac and all that extra stuff just gets in the way. For doubles I would suggest either going with a BC designed to switch back and forth like a Dive Rite Trans Pac, Deep Outdoors Matrix or OMS IQ pack. These will all work well with doubles but the best solution, in my opinion, would be a back plate and wing such as the Dive Rite Trans Plate or the offerings from Deep Sea Supply. These plates and harnesses are truly designed for doubles. They are all modular components, which the Excursion is not. The Excursion has 45# of lift which should be fine for you with double 80's. If, in the future you were to use larger tanks like double 120's or so you might want a larger aircell that offers more lift (say 50-60#). With the plate/harness combinations you can swap out the wing (aircell) and keep everything else just the way you want it.
I would stay with the 130 for now and keep on getting more experience. If you can take TSandM up on her offer for some local diving. More experience will help point you in the right direction for what equipment configurations will be the best suited for your type of diving.

Small set of doubles are really nice. Don't load it up with multiple regulators and the other DIR stuff. If you need redundant air get some kind of AIR Source device for your BC. Don't add any weights higher than your waist like steel plates and so on. Attach a whistle to your BC.
:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom