Steel 72 stage/deco bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northcoastdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any experience using a 72 for a stage/deco bottle? I've got a couple lying around and thought I might clean one up. I don't remember the buoyancy for sure, but I think they're pretty neutral empty.

Does anyone have any experience using a 72 for a stage/deco bottle? I've got a couple lying around and thought I might clean one up. I don't remember the buoyancy for sure, but I think they're pretty neutral empty.

If you mean the old 3AA2250 tanks, yes most are neutral to 1 positive empty.

mine are a few pounds positive empty,neutral half full and a few pounds negative full,it worked pretty good when your only bc was your lungs.

I have tried them and I prefer an AL 80. The steel 72 is close to neutral when empty which makes it quite heavy when full and even heavier when you add the stage strap, deco reg and valve. It is not totally unmanageable but is heavy enough to roll you to the stage side and over the course of the dive it is a PITA.

An AL 80 in contrast is near neutral when full and about +4 when empty. When you add the valve stage strap and deco reg to an AL 80, you end up with a stage that is neutral to slightly positive when empty. In addition, the tail end of the tank tends to float up and stays very streamlined while a steel 72 does not. On most dives you hardly notice an AL80 stage is even present.

They make excellent drop or emergency deco bottles tho. Because they are 2250psi (2475 with the + rating) they can be almost completely filled without using a booster, especially if your shop cascades O2. I know some guys around here that will hang a 72 full of O2 with a couple of second stages off of a tag line or deco bar, just incase the divers have an issue. I'm considering setting up my old 72 for this purpose when I take my deco course this summer, since I hardly ever dive singles anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom