staying warm on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n3rdftw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
i dive primarily in tropical water, so I have a 3/2mm Full Wetsuit for most of my trips etc.

Its also perfect for diving in Texas from April to October.

However, I'm starting to get cold when I go dive in 70/60ish water, and I was wondering what would be the most cost efficient way to warm up.

I was thinking that adding a 3mm hooded vest and 3mm gloves would give me the proper coverage for 99% of the conditions down to about 50 or 60 degrees, or should I go spring for a full 7/5mm wetsuit?

Find a used or bargain price drysuit. Anything under 72 degrees and I'm diving dry. Especially if the air temps are lower. Evaporative cooling will mess you up.

after poking around craiglist, I'm seeing entry level dry suits for 800ish ... what kinds of prices and types of drysuits should I be looking at? 800 is still a bit out of my range

I get cold as well with 3/2 in 71. That's with a hood. Go thick with hood gloves and boots. You're putting them on because your cold. Get the 7 mil accessories and if that doesn't work go to the 7/5 full suit of which you will already have the extras. FWIW I dive 7 mill booties in caymans 82 deg water. If you go two piece 7/5 that would give you more options and take you to the mid 50s. A dry suit can get a little sweaty and uncomfortable in water over 68. IMHO if you're looking at 60 -70 water get a better wetsuit with hood glove boot. If you're talking sometimes 67-70 get the thicker hood boots gloves and see if that's good enough for you. If your looking to regularly go into the 50s, just get a drysuit and worry about paying for it later.

The 3/2 has no place in your solution.

The good news is that if 50F is your bottom end a good 7/7 wetsuit should do the trick. That's 7mm with 2X on your core. Much more here. You will also need heavy boots and 5mm gloves.

A 5mm may be nice in between but it won't get many people to 50F comfortably.

Pete

Different people have different tolerances for cold... for me a 5mm steamer is only good for 70F for multiple dives, and then only with a 3mm hooded vest underneath.

I have a 3/2mm Full Wetsuit... I'm starting to get cold when I go dive in 70/60ish water...

For you, a hooded shorty oversuit may be ok down to 60 or less, on top of your 3/2. Scubapro make them in 5 and 7mm although they're not sold in all markets.

It gives your more flexibility (I wear mine on it's own sometimes) & saves some money. Only one way to tell if it works for you though.

thanks!

i decided to just get a ton of random pieces via amazon prime... ship back the items uncomfortable or unnecessary as needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom