Staying at playacar palace looking to dive in coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mhosts

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey, I'm going to Playa del carmen on the 20th of May for a week.

I'd like to do a day of diving in Coz. We're staying at Playacar Palace which is literally right next to the ferry terminal.

Does anyone know of any good shops that are relatively close to the ferry terminal on the cozumel side that has 2 or 3 tank boat dives? Or ideally, one that would be willing to provide some sort of transportation to their location if arranged in advance?

It would likely be the 22nd or 23rd of May.

Thanks!

Your best bet would likely be one of the ops that pick up at one of the two piers in town. While there are a number of shops LOCATED downtown, their boats most often leave from caleta outside of town (some might give you a lift but you would need to contact them individually, I think to inquire about those arrangements). Ones that I know pick up in town are Living Underwater, and Aldora, and Blue XT Sea. I have seen one other op's boats at the "Aldora" pier...Deep Blue, I think but could be wrong. Aqua Safari also has its own pier and also picks up in town. These piers are adjacent to the Coz ferry terminal, but are a short jaunt down the road a couple of blocks.

Aldora, Blue XT~Sea Diving, and Deep Blue depart from the downtown pier which is a couple of blocks from the ferry pier in Cozumel. Aqua Safari also departs from downtown from their pier which is another couple of blocks. Depending on the shops schedule, you will most likely have to take the 7am or 8am ferry (ferry schedule alternates each day as to whether they have a 7 or 8am ferry from Playa to Coz) - but the transportation from Playa to Coz will be up to you if you want to dive in cozumel with a Cozumel shop.

I would contact some shops and communicate directly with them to make your arrangements. Have fun!

Christi, this wording is at odds with my limited use of the ferry:

"...(ferry schedule alternates each day as to whether they have a 7 or 8am ferry from Playa to Coz)"

This sounds like the 700 and 800 AM ferries do not run every day. My understanding of the schedule is that both times operate every day and it is only the ferry company that runs at any given time that alternates days. So a person can count on a ferry crossing at both times...just see which ferry company is running at that time and buy their ticket. Is that correct?

Only buy one way ferry tickets.

One ferry schedule. Add times from both colored sections to get the full schedule.

México Waterjets - Fery Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen Ferry-Cozumel

Contact Jorge at Scorpio.
Scorpio Divers
He was just telling me they have a boat that leaves Playa, goes directly to the reef and is faster and cheaper than the ferry options. I dove with him in Cancun and enjoyed every minute.

Blue Angel offers a trip that picks up at the ferry. It's a dive/snorkel combo (so there are snorkelers on the boat as well as divers). It would pick up from the 10 a.m. ferry. Huit in reservations can answer your questions at info@blueangelresort.com.

Just another option. :)

kari

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

My understanding of the schedule is that both times operate every day and it is only the ferry company that runs at any given time that alternates days. So a person can count on a ferry crossing at both times...just see which ferry company is running at that time and buy their ticket. Is that correct?

Only buy one way ferry tickets.

One ferry schedule. Add times from both colored sections to get the full schedule.

México Waterjets - Fery Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen Ferry-Cozumel

My understanding matches yours, Ron. There is (currently) no 9 a.m. ferry to the island but there are 7, 8 and 10. Which company varies by day. We often hop the ferry for some dinner variety in Playa, then come home in the morning.

kari

You are correct Ron & Kari! I was thinking they would be going to low season schedule! In the past, there have been many days that there was not a 7:00 ferry and the only options were 6am or 8am. I think they finally realized that didn't make sense that neither of them had a 7am crossing on certain days!

Here are both ferry schedules for May - they alternate on odd and even days :) Click on the schedules to view them :)

May ferry schedule Ultramar.JPG

Mexico ferry schedule May.JPG

I'm planning to give Tank-Ha a go - they seem to be about the only one that does Cozumel diving direct from Playa del Carmen with their own boat. I'm hoping to go in the next couple of days (typing this from the Playacar Palace in PdC :D ). I'll let you know what I think - hey, I'm here till the 25th - I might even see you on a dive or at the pool.

Also be sure to check at the Palace front desk re. ferry tickets. I seem to recall getting vouchers going back to Coz Palace after a day of cenote diving and visiting the Playacar Palace.
Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom