Status of Silicone Zip Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have been shown them since the beginning of this year and now watch videos of silicone zip seals being tested. Is there an official roll out date?

Bumpity Bump Bump. Some of us are holding off purchasing decisions until we have an idea if and when they will be out.

Thanks for the question. I do not have an official release date at the moment. As you probable know silicone seals have been around for a while now. The trick is the 'connection' of the seal to the suit. It has taken longer than anticipated but we are making progress and getting closer. I will try and get a better 'date' answer.

Thanks for the interest!!!!

Hi. We still do not have a release date for the silicone ZipSeals. This truly is an 'R&D' project here at DUI. The silicone seal material we are developing is more robust than anything currently on the market. The tricky part is getting the locking mechanism perfect. It is going slower than anticipated. But it is going. We just don't have a date. If you are thinking of purchasing my suggestion would be to get the current ZipSeal system. The wrist seals will be backwards compatiable. Meaning you will just be able to pop in the new silicone wrist ZipSeals... when they are ready. We are working hard on this and we want it to be perfect.

Any word on the silicone zip seals, especially the neck seals. I am looking at purchasing a TLS 350 in the very near future and it has the zip seal rings at the wrists and neck. I will probably put dry gloves on and would like to put silicone on the neck because of its superior durability.

Kathy: Any update on the wrist seals? I would like to get a backup set before my next dive in a couple months and really want them to be silicone.

(if you need a tester, let me know. I'll be in warm water in my 30/30, if they don't work I'll be wet and annoyed but nothing worse than that, easy to switch back to my other set because of the zipseals! :) )

Hi Tarjan. Thanks for the note and offer of being a tester. I am excited about the new seals myself. Obviously this has taken longer than we anticipated. Here is an update:

Wrist seals. We do have samples in the field. We are fine tuning the mold and silicone blend for both the ring and the seals. When we get this dialed in, the next item will be the G1 neck seal. This is probable good news for many divers as this will allow people with existing neck ZipSeals to move to silicone without having to retrofit their DUI with the G2 ring. We have a few G2 latex neck seals in the field being tested. Once the G1 works and the G2 latex works, we will move to the silicone G2.

I do not have a release date. Will keep you posted.

Thanks! Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom