Statue at the Cut (+Octo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishLovingStudent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So on my dive yesterday, descending into the cut (near the entrance) we came upon this buddhist/indian statue. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a story behind it? :shocked2:

(It is also my first breeding season as a diver, it is very cool to see so many young rockfish, perch, jellies, and such :) )

[video=youtube;G-U3_ylZYr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-U3_ylZYr0[/video]

Image4.jpgImage20.jpg

Some good finds that day.

As this is your first breeding season I'd just say, go slow, don't fall in love with the first one you meet, and always use protection.

Is that buddhist/indian statue bolted or cemented to the rock? Great find!

Nope! I went to see and I could pick it up. Half considered taking it but I think leaving it for other divers to muse over is the far better option :)

I also got an answer to what it is from another diver at UBC's AquaSoc:

"statue is the Hindu goddess Durga - usually depicted seated on a lion, with a mace, trident, conch shell. This one looks to be made of marble. Not sure how it got there. probably from a wreck (don't recall if whytecliff has any nearby)."

Yes, leave it for the next person to find and enjoy. The person who saw it before you probably also thought of the same thing too. :)

There is also a gnome in Porteau Cove. Have you seen it?

I've seen the gnome at Porteau, although I am yet to do the cut at Whytecliff, so I haven't gotten to see this statue.

I have not seen the gnome at Porteau. I have only dived at Porteau twice though :p Whereabouts is it?

Follow the firehose and then break away and head to Granthall. You should see it on your way there. It's been awhile since I've dove there. Are the two toilets still in Granthall?

Have you seen the Eagle around the plumose garden at the Cut? Or how about the bike that somebody left (right side of the cut)?

There is at least one. I tried to take a photo of my buddy sitting on one. The one that we found was too close to the wall for me to squeeze in to take the photo.

Oh buddy, you're overloading me xD I have not seen either of those.

Back
Top Bottom