State of emergency in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Malaysia declares Covid state of emergency amid political challenges

Thailand experienced the sudden surge in infection from the migrant workers at the moment and now Malaysia is suffering the same fate(might not be related to migrant workers at all).

The 4th wave that hit HK lately has shown no sign to abate unlike the previous occasions. And with the Lunar New Year celebration just around the corner(in just over a month time). We are in for a hard time!
Wearing a mask since Jan 2020 and this is not going to change for a while!
Is 2021 going to be better? Only time will tell.

Take good care

Similar to what´s going on down here in Argentina. After the summer holidays, the promise for all people to be vacinated before March made the whole country to relax and return to normal life. Vacines did not come. Vacination programs are behind schedule for months. Vacine availability is very low and here only the russian Sputnik V and Chinese Sinopharm were given. No other main stream laboratories are selling to Argentina, just a few dosis from COVAX. VIP Vacination (vacination to the politicians, friends and family) was a major scandal, though those dosis are already given to people without priority and the whole amount was not significant. Corruption and more corruption, always the same.

Reactions: Dan
How Much Will It Cost to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine?

AZ is the cheapest by a fair margin but it is also the one that is causing controversy from certain countries.
It is still not approved in HK but we approved one(Sinovac) from china which could not even produced a meaningful final phase trail report! Politic plays a big part!

Nothing has changed since Jan!!!!!!

Covid-19: Malaysia logs 1,482 new cases as Selangor sees jump in infections

What is happening?
Not even inter state travel is allowed!

This is not entirely correct. Back in January we hit over 5000 daily new infections. This is why new restrictions were imposed and the number has been between 1000 and 1500 daily infections for the past few weeks.
However, despite the interstate and inter-district travel ban, many people are going around like normal business in their own state. I avoid crowded places like malls as much as possible.
The government has also released some restrictions to allow businesses to contribute to the economy. Not surprisingly, most clusters are work-related so who knows whether or when the daily new cases drop to three digits.

Just yesterday the prime minister said there are currently discussions on potentially allowing people who have had both vaccinations rounds to travel both nationally and internationally. The main reason was to motivate more people to actually get vaccinated.
I registered for vaccination weeks ago but as a foreigner and not being in a risk group, I'll probably have to wait a fair while longer before I can actually get vaccinated.
It's like a marathon with a constantly moving finishing line so I'm pacing myself the best I can.

1. Dropped in number has no real meaning. We are supposed to be at the end of the 4th wave however the start of the Easter and Ching Ming holiday(02- 06 Apr inclusive) could have dire consequence. People tend to let their guard down when celebrating!
2. Shopping malls is never an issue in HK because you are required to wear mask. But do watch your own personal hygiene in public places and do not forget to wash your hands when get home. Any in-door places that do not require the wearing of mask is to be avoided except restaurant.
3. "Vaccine passport"? Very good idea but it is not that common.
4. The vaccination program in HK is not doing too well at the moment. I have not known anyone that has taken the jab including my ageing neighbours. However, I will take the shot if I can travel to places that I want and Singapore is NOT one of them.

I hope you did not have to wait too long for your shot! Good luck.

Hey, so I came here to find out more about this. I will be moving to Kota Kinabalu soon. Does anyone know if dive operators are open? Also how is the vaccination going? Unfortunately it's pretty poor where I am now and am quite certain that I will not be vaccinated before I have to move. Will I be able to get vaccinated in Sabah? Thanks.

Hey, so I came here to find out more about this. I will be moving to Kota Kinabalu soon. Does anyone know if dive operators are open? Also how is the vaccination going? Unfortunately it's pretty poor where I am now and am quite certain that I will not be vaccinated before I have to move. Will I be able to get vaccinated in Sabah? Thanks.
Can't you get vaccination in Switzerland?
Would they let you in FIRST?

If you had read post No.5, foreigner not in the risky group is NOT the top priority for the Malaysian Gov.

Good luck.

Malaysia is not open for international tourists at the moment. Are you moving for work? If so then check with the employer and the embassy for paperwork and what the process currently is.

Tawau is under MCO until April 16: MCO in Tawau from tomorrow until April 16 - Ismail Sabri
So no Mabul or Sipadan for the time being, even if you're in Sabah.
Some parts of Kota Kinabalu are under EMCO now: EMCO to be enforced in three areas in Sabah from Monday

I think diving centers/operators are open for locals mostly (seen a few Facebook posts) but your best bet is to contact them directly and ask.

Vaccination for foreigners won't happen anytime soon. We just follow all SOPs, install the MySejahtera app to check in everywhere we go with QR codes.

Thanks for the replies. I am moving for work. My employer is taking care of all the visa and paperwork stuff. I should have no problems coming, I will have to quarantine, but luckily that's also covered by my employer.

Switzerland is doing terribly with vaccination. Only about 7% are vaccinated. I am low priority being healthy and young, rightfully so. But the projection for me to get vaccinated isn't until July, which is highly optimistic... and I will be in Malaysia by then.

I will then be a local...and I hope to stick around for many years and make it my home. I'll definitely take your suggestion to contact dive centres directly. Any recommended in Kota Kinabalu?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom