Starting to Reopen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bonaire has now posted their Phase One plan for reopening. Quick summary, European Netherlands yes, Americans no for now. They correctly identified the United States as "high-risk."

50 Bonaireans still abroad can return.
Fifty Bonaireans who are still abroad, including students, will be brought back to Bonaire. Mandatory COVID-19 testing will be done upon arrival.

Airspace opens on June 12, 2020, to Curacao.
On June 12, 2020, Bonaire’s airspace will open to Curacao and possibly Aruba. There will not be a need for those from Curacao to go into mandatory quarantine.

Airspace opens to European Netherlands with capacity limits.
Visitors from the European Netherlands may begin to travel to Bonaire, but there is a limit of no more than 1000 tourists per week. Mandatory quarantine is not necessary, but social distancing measures must be followed.

USA gateways will remain closed for now.
Airspace will not yet open to North America, as all gateways are in the United States, which is still considered a high-risk country.​

Re-opening of Bonaire, Details of Phase One | InfoBonaire

Hopefully the US gets included in phase two, whenever that will be....

Sorry, I posted similar information at the same time as @pclark2
Haha that is what happens with breaking news. Amusingly I checked after typing everything and shortly before posting to see if there was another already, but then I made some more edits. Just more room for discussion and dreaming :)

I am being optimistic and booked a trip for last of October.
I'm optimistic too. I was really hoping for August personally, but I think that is because I was there last year at the end of August. I'm required to take 8 days off between mid-July and the end of August (staff have too much accumulated leave), so that makes August even better for me. Worst case, I take a week off and stay home, and then in October I go and join you :cheers:

Sorry, I posted similar information at the same time as @pclark2
I just looked at your post, and the link you provided had some nice additional details. Especially the "One condition for entering Bonaire is that a negative Covid test, no older than 72 hours before departure, can be submitted, but any form of quarantine won’t be required anymore!"

Smart rule. Not sure if on demand testing with quick turnaround is possible everywhere in the US yet, but I believe it is by me in Chicago now. I'd be willing to have my brain pierced with a swab for a chance to socially distance underwater.

We actually do covid tests in the office and started open testing 2 weeks ago. So getting a test is no problem for me. Now if I can just stay clean. :( Or at least get it over with by October.

Two things:
We had free, open testing here in Alexandria VA, but it took 3+ days to get the result.
I've cancelled my two group trips in August due to this continued uncertainty.

We actually do covid tests in the office and started open testing 2 weeks ago. So getting a test is no problem for me. Now if I can just stay clean. :( Or at least get it over with by October.
I just checked and my local hospital system, which had developed its own test, still lists only those with symptoms. I'm sure there are other places near me offering it, but I may just have to go to NC first it seems haha. I do have family in Charlotte and my wife has family in Greensboro, so that works.

In all seriousness though, best of luck for October! We all desperately need our scuba addition served...

Even without a test Eric and I pose very little threat to Bonaire since we social distance by nature. We rent a condo, eat in all meals except an occasional Kite City take out. We only shore dive. Don’t party and don’t shop.

Then again Bonaire may decide we are too dull to allow on the island!

Oh, my Christmas week trip is looking up - My family as well social distances, my daughter just turned 16 (bummer that happened during covid), so I am happy I can tell her she cant go hang out with anyone but boring old dad and mom

I wonder what they will do with breakfast buffets...….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom