Starting to buy your own dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avfcmichael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,

This is probably a more UK/European based question!

What are the best sites for deals on equipment for a beginner? I am UK-based so will soon have to purchase a drysuit to enable me to dive more than a couple of weeks a year. I already have snorkel/mask and soon will be getting a dive computer before I go diving on holiday in Mexico - so it's the other items I'm more intrested in shops for!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Micheal,
There are several sites worth checking but I always look at Mike's dive store & Simply Scuba websites initially. Simply Scuba have video reviews for many items and usually have reviews from customers, which help! I also like Aquanauts in Plymouth; they're always very helpful on the phone.
It's worth doing an internet search for the best prices though. I recently bought an XDeep Ghost BCD from Scubastore.com for cracking price compared to UK prices. It was shipped from Spain but had no issues and had good tracking info.

UP THE VILLA!!! :)

The best deal on a drysuit is the place that sells you a drysuit that fits properly.

My best recommendation is find 3-5 dive shops within a couple of hours radius from where you live and visit them. Try on different sizes of different make/model drysuits. Be sure to try on with undergarments equal in thickness that you plan to dive with, including socks.

When you get the correct comfortable fit that is the suit to buy. If 2 or more shops have the same suit that fits you correctly then choose the shop that is either lower priced or closer to where you live/dive.

Often one will find that they need to replace their fins due to the thickness of the boots (rock boots or attached boots)....if you are purchasing the drysuit, undergarments, fins, and possibly boots from the same shop it is not untoward to ask for a package discount if one is not offered. Many shops know that once you know what size you need it easy to purchase online...often after investing their time they will offer 10-20% off on a package in an effort to secure the deal.

Good luck, and remember....fit is everything when it comes to drysuits.

-Z

Hi Micheal,
There are several sites worth checking but I always look at Mike's dive store & Simply Scuba websites initially. Simply Scuba have video reviews for many items and usually have reviews from customers, which help! I also like Aquanauts in Plymouth; they're always very helpful on the phone.
It's worth doing an internet search for the best prices though. I recently bought an XDeep Ghost BCD from Scubastore.com for cracking price compared to UK prices. It was shipped from Spain but had no issues and had good tracking info.

UP THE VILLA!!! :)

Thank you!

I had been looking at SimplyScuba and their videos quite a bit, for a newby they are very helpful!

Up The Villa :thumb:

The best deal on a drysuit is the place that sells you a drysuit that fits properly.

My best recommendation is find 3-5 dive shops within a couple of hours radius from where you live and visit them. Try on different sizes of different make/model drysuits. Be sure to try on with undergarments equal in thickness that you plan to dive with, including socks.

When you get the correct comfortable fit that is the suit to buy. If 2 or more shops have the same suit that fits you correctly then choose the shop that is either lower priced or closer to where you live/dive.

Often one will find that they need to replace their fins due to the thickness of the boots (rock boots or attached boots)....if you are purchasing the drysuit, undergarments, fins, and possibly boots from the same shop it is not untoward to ask for a package discount if one is not offered. Many shops know that once you know what size you need it easy to purchase online...often after investing their time they will offer 10-20% off on a package in an effort to secure the deal.

Good luck, and remember....fit is everything when it comes to drysuits.

-Z

Good tip, thanks!

I haven't bought fins yet, so I will certainly wait until I get the drysuit then!

+1 for simply scuba. I've bought a fair bit from them in the past. Good price, good service and good turnaround. I also agree with UROrb about their video reviews which are pretty handy.

I'd also recommend dirdirect for more technical dive gear.

Regarding drysuit, you're better off with a personal visit as the fit and feel are vital. I'd highly recommend OThree in Portland. Quite pricey, but excellent quality and support.

when figuring the cost of a drysuit also remember that unless you buy a crushed neoprene figure in the cost for boots and undergarment as well and weather or not you want a hood and drysuit gloves .when i saw mine for 1000 Canadian wow good price then boots 150.undergarment 200 hood. 100 and i just use 50 neoprene gloves drysuit glove setup will be another 200 ish dollars .(Canadian prices )little things add up .

The issue I have with simplyscuba's videos is they are not really providing a review, they are providing an overview...they never really state what they think of the products or indicate anything negative about them. It is hard to make an informed choice without that. Its nice that they generally pick up and show the gear and mention the features but they don't really tell you anything about the product that you can't glean from the manufacturer's ad copy and specs.

I like simplyscuba's youtube channel for the entertainment value not the information value.

Just sayin.

-Z

The issue I have with simplyscuba's videos is they are not really providing a review, they are providing an overview...they never really state what they think of the products or indicate anything negative about them. It is hard to make an informed choice without that. Its nice that they generally pick up and show the gear and mention the features but they don't really tell you anything about the product that you can't glean from the manufacturer's ad copy and specs.

I like simplyscuba's youtube channel for the entertainment value not the information value.

Just sayin.

-Z

That's true. I think the video overviews do help to make a slightly more informed decision on products though, along with the customer reviews, as well as reviews from other sites. And it's always worth picking up the phone - most shops are very helpful, especially if the staff actually dive themselves.
It's always best to go see the gear you're interested in if you can.
As others have said, for wetsuits and drysuits you really need to try them on if you can, although you might want to take a punt on 2nd hand gear.
There are Facebook scuba gear buying and selling pages you might want to look at too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom