Starting PADI AOW with one shop and finishing with another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No2rdame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I signed up for PADI AOW at my LDS and took the navigation and search/rescue dives. I also got the AOW book. However, I'd like to finish my remaining dives at another shop because circumstances changed right after I signed up and now I can't take the remaining dives with them. They prefer to schedule on weekdays to avoid the crowds, which I get, but between having a toddler and an employer that doesn't believe in giving decent time off from work, weekends are all I've got.

So, is this something I could do and how would it work? Just reach out to another PADI shop and have them finish things up?

There is no downside to repeating the dives with the new shop. I suggest you just enjoy the extra training and not worry about making sure you get credit for the two dives you already did. It is best not to look at scuba training from the perspective of how little you can do to get a card.

Cheers

It is very possible to make the switch. You just need to have the original shop sign off on the dives you did and then take that to the new shop. Of course, the problem will be the money. The old shop is not likely to give you any kind of refund, but the new shop should be able to give you a discount.

This rarely happens, so I assume no one in your case has any experience with it. Don't be surprised if they tell you at first that it can't be done, but it certainly can. Where I have worked in the past, something like it has happened because of the fact that we do not have any truly local sites for the deep dive. It sometimes happens that some of the AOW dives are done locally with one instructor and then others done on a trip to a place with deeper water. It is all within the shop and arranged ahead of time, but it is essentially the same thing--two different instructors signing off on your dives.

boulderjohn tells the whole story, and it can be frustrating--money-wise. As I have found out once myself and from reading on SB. I assume you did the first 2 dives on the weekend then they changed their scheduling. Since you probably paid the whole course fee, it would SEEM they should give you some of a refund--from how you describe it anyway.
My problem was a bit different--I did the first "half" of the old Nitrox course in FL (as part of AOW), and was told I could do the second half (and the required 2 dives at the time in 2006) back home in NS. Our shop said No, must take & pay for the whole course here. So, switching can be done according to PADI, but it seems there is a good chance you'll pay more one way or the other due to shops' policies.

So I have done this.

You need to request from the first dive shop the papers for the dives you have completed.

You should have done the theory at the end of the chapters in your book.

You need to get the PIC from the first dive shop or you’ll need to pay it again.

Then you need to find a second dive shop who will be willing to charge you only for the remaining adventure dives.

Also talk to the instructor about finishing on the weekend one on one due to your cirmstanses. It may cost you more, but might be less than changing shops.

Bob

You need to get the PIC from the first dive shop or you’ll need to pay it again.
"Get the PIC" is likely not relevant...since it is almost always being done on-line now, and there is nothing physical to get. The first shop may or may not have already purchased a PIC for you (which means your name might be in their on-line processing system), and that may or may not be available to "move" to a different shop. Whoever does your fifth and final AOW dive with you is the instructor who needs to submit the PIC. At worst, you pay for another PIC, which is no big deal.

"Get the PIC" is likely not relevant...since it is almost always being done on-line now, and there is nothing physical to get. The first shop may or may not have already purchased a PIC for you (which means your name might be in their on-line processing system), and that may or may not be available to "move" to a different shop. Whoever does your fifth and final AOW dive with you is the instructor who needs to submit the PIC. At worst, you pay for another PIC, which is no big deal.
I am just telling him so he can avoid paying the PIC twice ...

I am just telling him so he can avoid paying the PIC twice ...
And I was pointing out that he may have to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom