Starting Diver Master training before 18th birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at the latest PADI Instructor Manual. You must have 40 to start and at least 60 to complete the DM program. This is PADI only, I don’t know what the requirements are for other agencies.

I'm surprised you can embark upon DM training with only 40 dives. How many dives do you generally log during a DM class?

@Pedro Burrito and @JackD342 seem to be reading standards from a different manual. 60 seems more reasonable to me, but I assumed it would be like 200 or so.
I THINK I agree. I started the course with 157 dives done.
There were 6 dives during the DM course (2009)
--2 observing an OW course
--2 acting as victims for a Rescue Course
--2 boat dives (dive briefing, etc.)

I felt the 157 dives I had were more than enough. Don't know if I would've been ready at 40 dives, can't recall exactly. I don't THINK my overall diving changed much between 40 and 157.

I THINK I agree. I started the course with 157 dives done.
There were 6 dives during the DM course (2009)
--2 observing an OW course
--2 acting as victims for a Rescue Course
--2 boat dives (dive briefing, etc.)

I felt the 157 dives I had were more than enough. Don't know if I would've been ready at 40 dives, can't recall exactly. I don't THINK my overall diving changed much between 40 and 157.

I don't look at the number of dives so much as more about when I took certain training which changed my diving dramatically. It is possible to have a DM candidate at 40 dives that is more skilled than one with 200. It just depends. I know we try to set guidelines based on "experience."

I think it makes more sense to have prerequisites based on skills and knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom