Starter photo equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Very new to diving.....I have used disposable cameras in the past....and as expected pictures were not all that great.....I have about $400.00 that I have budgeted and would like some suggestions on what to buy......I am considering Sea and Sea MX-10 w/YS40A or the Sealife SL560......both are within budget...question is....is one better than the other!
Thanks

You'll hear this from many, wait, save your money, learn to dive first and go digital. I got a Reefmaster shortly after getting certified, I was never satisfied with the pictures and the time I spent with the camera I should have been learning bouyancy.

Far and away the worse thing about the photography is not knowing what you just took a picture of. Many many misframed and/or fuzzy pictures of things I really wanted to photograph. With the digital, you know right away and can take another if fuzzy.

You can get a good digital and UW case for around $600 total. You'll also get a great little camera for out of the water. Sony, Cannon and Olympus are the big three that also make UW cases.

As much as I love u/w photography and like to see people get into it, you should learn your skills first. Bouyancy specifically. As a new diver you have enough of a task load to deal with without the extra burden of a camera to narrow your focus.

Take the time, hone your bouyancy skills where you can hold your position just inches away from you subject. Learn finning techniques to hold you in place, back-up, and hover without moving in a current. THEN you'll be ready to add a camera to your task load.

Also agree to save your money and go digital.

Just my 2¢

I agree learn your skills first. But here is a question for the digital users, how do you deal with the long delay between the time you press the shutter release and when the photo is actually taken. I have not seen any digital camera that will "take" the picture as quick as a conventional film camera.
When shooting corals or wrecks it's not a big deal but trying to get fish to sit still for that long is imposible. With some fish you only have a split second to get the shot.
As far as "conventional film" cameras I have a Sea & Sea Motormarine II and love it. If you look around a setup can be had for a good price.
Thanks,
john
=-)

The shutter lag you speak of is probably the worst thing about digital. Some of the new pro digital cameras have no shutter lag but they are way expensive.

I don't know about other brands but with my Oly C-4040 there is a half push on the shutter button that pre-focuses for you....that helps alot. The biggest way to deal with it is to take lots of pictures. We can do that with digital! :eek:ut: So for everyone of those good shots get, I also get 2-3 fish butts.

But basically it's one of those things we learn to deal with to have the other advantages of digital. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal at all. In fact, it's made me pay more attention to the behavior of the fish so I know what to expect, which way they'll go next, etc. and I'm ready for them!

I agree with the posts here. You need to get you bouyancy skills down. But to answer your question, I've got the Mx10 w/strobe. As long as you use the right speed film (100 or 400) and the right shutter speed, it is a wonderful camera and takes great pictures. My next purchase will be a digital though. No more paying to have film developed and you can add and delete as you need to.

I didn't complete answer your question. Of the two cameras you mention, I don't know that much about the Sealife camera but I can highly recommend the MX-10. I still use mine on occasion. As long as you understand the limitations of the system, you can get some excellent photos from it. One of my best photos ever came from my MX-10.

I think you got so many recommendations to go digital because we are all so glad we did! But that doesn't mean that there aren't good starter film set-ups on the market. I think you'll be pleased with the MX-10.

This photo is one of my favorites and best from the MX-10...this has been posted before.

aaj.sized.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom