Stage placement durations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonG1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you have a project or dive that requires set up in terms of staging safeties in the OHE, typically how long do they remain in situ, and do you verify the stage on each entry pass, by breathing off it?

Depends on the system but months is not unheard of. Strapping Mg anodes onto al80s is necessary to keep the corrosion to a acceptable level but they can still get ruined with condemnable pitting (just slower). Not breathed off/tested - most dives with safeties are CCR dives nowadays anyway.

Anode really helps. I’ve seen some that have been in place for a few years that are still functional. Crack the valve to charge the reg and check for leaks as you pass by or every few dives.

In my experience, safeties generally hold up very well for a long time.

Well, it really depends on the water chemistry (seriously). I've seen safeties corrode within 2-3 weeks, and I've seen them last for years. An anode helps A LOT.

Thanks fellahs, a few weeks should be fine then.
Are these in the UK?

At least for me we haven't left bottles more than a week due to the risk of flooding destroying everything

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom