DIR- Generic Stage/Deco Bottle setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
loosenit2

loosenit2

si respiratio sub aqua amet
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a question on mounting multiple stage/deco bottles. With one bottle connecting to shoulder/hip d-ring is easy, but I am starting to think through the best ways to run with multiple bottles. I have asked these of my tech mentors as well but looking for broader input.

As reference I am only asking for BM doubles, Hogarthian set-up.

1. What is the best way to keep a single stage/deco bottle better aligned to the body rather than the typical butt up orientation that always occurs with an AL tank using the left shoulder d-ring and hip d-ring.

2. What is the best way to connect to multiple stage/deco bottles?

I have seen a technique where you add an additional bungee loop to the backplate and then use only the hip d-ring and the bungee over the tank valve to keep it in place under your armpit. These seems like a derivative of a SM setup. I can see advantages of this but I’m not sure I can see all the risks with this approach. I’m not sure if using an approach like this for 1 bottle and then hip/shoulder d-ring for the 2nd bottle is best approach or if there is another way. Seems like it would be too busy and problematic to put both bottles on hip/shoulder d-rings. I think wearing one on each side is problematic from the perspective of keeping the long hose free to deploy without having to unthread it around the stage bottle.

First two bottles on left, everything else on a leash. As @rddvet suggested, you could add a loop bungee to the edge of the backplate, though it wouldn't be DIR. Downsides would be gas verification protocol being slightly more difficult, depending on how tight the bottles are held to you. Using bungee loops can make your profile wider, whereas your profile is taller when they are slung in the traditional fashion.

I'd add, most dives requiring >3 slung bottles often use or have a DPV, so the increased exertion/drag from not using a bungee loop to tighten your bottles is mitigated. There are exceptions to this rule, but I don't particularly recommend exerting oneself more than necessary at normoxic or hypoxic depths, nor more than necessary when in cave, and swimming with two slung full 80s and a nose clipped 80 of nitrox is particularly miserable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom