Stage bottles and shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m primarily a shore diver here in Hawaii, and I’m considering slinging an Al 80 as a stage bottle. For those that have used an Al 80 as a slung stage, how easy/difficult is it to manage for a surface swim? I will not be going in and out through pounding surf, but a couple of the places I dive do require a bit of a surface swim (about 100 yards) over shallow reef to get out to the drop off.

Thanks for the help!

Safe Diving.

I’m primarily a shore diver here in Hawaii, and I’m considering slinging an Al 80 as a stage bottle. For those that have used an Al 80 as a slung stage, how easy/difficult is it to manage for a surface swim? I will not be going in and out through pounding surf, but a couple of the places I dive do require a bit of a surface swim (about 100 yards) over shallow reef to get out to the drop off.

Thanks for the help!

Safe Diving.

Do you want the bottle to sling as a "pony" bottle for "oh *****" situations or do you truly want it as a stage bottle for planned/staged decompression?

What tank(s) are you diving on your back? Are you diving EANx?

Assuming you're diving at least somewhat near-recreational profiles from a depth/time standpoint, maybe with a little light deco, there's really no need to carry that much extra gas with you from a deco perspective. A 40cf bottle would have better buoyancy and slinging characteristics, and much easy to handle out of the water as well. (Assuming you're diving a single tank AL80 with EANx 32, unless you breathe like a mouse you can't really spend enough time deep enough to get into significant deco obligation.)

Similarly, if you are only looking for a redundant air source in case of emergency, a 40cf bottle would be the right choice. (Enough gas for two to ascend from 80ft, including a 3min stop.)

Of you are looking to simply carry more breathable non-deco/non-emergency gas, then you might want to consider simply getting a larger main tank. Or perhaps double AL80s? More air and potentially easier to deal with vs slinging a 40 or 80.

Last but no least, if you're thinking of slinging an AL80 simply because you have ready access to an AL80, that's cool. Depending on which tank you have the buoyancy and trim characteristics are pretty benign once in the water.

I surface swim 40's, 80, on my back on the surface. There is some extra push through the water, so I just slow down a little and forget I've even got 'em. No problem.

Do you want the bottle to sling as a "pony" bottle for "oh *****" situations or do you truly want it as a stage bottle for planned/staged decompression?

What tank(s) are you diving on your back? Are you diving EANx?

Assuming you're diving at least somewhat near-recreational profiles from a depth/time standpoint, maybe with a little light deco, there's really no need to carry that much extra gas with you from a deco perspective. A 40cf bottle would have better buoyancy and slinging characteristics, and much easy to handle out of the water as well. (Assuming you're diving a single tank AL80 with EANx 32, unless you breathe like a mouse you can't really spend enough time deep enough to get into significant deco obligation.)

Similarly, if you are only looking for a redundant air source in case of emergency, a 40cf bottle would be the right choice. (Enough gas for two to ascend from 80ft, including a 3min stop.)

Of you are looking to simply carry more breathable non-deco/non-emergency gas, then you might want to consider simply getting a larger main tank. Or perhaps double AL80s? More air and potentially easier to deal with vs slinging a 40 or 80.

Last but no least, if you're thinking of slinging an AL80 simply because you have ready access to an AL80, that's cool. Depending on which tank you have the buoyancy and trim characteristics are pretty benign once in the water.

Sorry RJP, I should have provided a bit more detail.

I'm currently using a single AL80. Air only, no nitrox available at the local dive shop.

The AL80 seemed to make the most sense as a slung stage because I have a few in the closet :D

I was looking to make a "poor-man's doubles rig" for those times I wanted to stay a little bit longer on shallow dives than a single AL80 allows, and also for redundancy on deep dives (which are now very rare for me).

My dives are usually shallow multi-level reef dives (normally <60 feet max depth).
I've done deco dives back in the late 70's (deep air, USN deco tables, yikes!); but now I keep things shallow and mellow in my old age :D

Doubles would be the most elegant solution, and I may end up going that route eventually, but some of the best local shore dives have fairly rugged lava shelf entrances that I think would be tough with doubles, but doable with with a stage (climb down lava shelf with single on back, have buddy hand down stages, don stages in water).

Thanks for the reply!

I surface swim 40's, 80, on my back on the surface. There is some extra push through the water, so I just slow down a little and forget I've even got 'em. No problem.

Thanks Rick! I'm curious how they'd be on a surface swim since I've never tried it. I thought it would probably be "ok", but since I'd never tried it I wanted opinions from those who had.

Doubles would be the most elegant solution, and I may end up going that route eventually, but some of the best local shore dives have fairly rugged lava shelf entrances that I think would be tough with doubles, but doable with with a stage (climb down lava shelf with single on back, have buddy hand down stages, don stages in water).

Thanks for the reply!

You might be surprised on the ability to manage double 80s. If there's a buddy who can had you one tank, he can hand you TWO connected by a manifold. (In prep for this you can tote my double steel 119s for a while. Then switch over to double AL80s, and you'll feel like you're diving naked!

You might be surprised on the ability to manage double 80s. If there's a buddy who can had you one tank, he can hand you TWO connected by a manifold. (In prep for this you can tote my double steel 119s for a while. Then switch over to double AL80s, and you'll feel like you're diving naked!

Good point. I had not looked at it that way, but I bet it would work. I'll pass on toting your double 119's however, I could see a double hernia and ruptured disc in my future if I tried that! :D

Thanks again for the replies.

Safe Diving (and SAFE LIFTING!!!).

Swimming a stage is not a big problem. Just take your time and enjoy the view.

Slinging an 80 is actually a very convenient way of adding redundancy and tons of gas. Doubles are nicer but need quite a bit of extra gear.

Swimming a stage is not a big problem. Just take your time and enjoy the view.

Slinging an 80 is actually a very convenient way of adding redundancy and tons of gas. Doubles are nicer but need quite a bit of extra gear.

That depends on what gear OP is using today. If he is diving BP/W there's need for tankbands, valves and manifold, another first stage and a suitable wing for doubles. If he would like to add a stage-rigged tank, then he would need rigging kit for the stage, a first and a second stage and a SPG, and maybe a BCD that can carry a stage on the side. "Quite a bit of extra gear" either way IMO. I dive doubles and I don't see a single tank and a stage as an option for more gas, the doubles are better balanced and a better fit all together.

I take both doubles and an 80cf stage for shore dives. In my case, I'm carrying extra tanks only to extend the bottom time. Pushing three tanks on the surface can be challenging at times, especially when the wind and waves kick-up. Make sure you build-up slowly, pace yourself and stick near shore in the beginning.

I have been caught in a smoking current before and you have to be prepared for the possibility that you can't make it back to your exit point. The worst I ever had was several years ago I had to drag the gear back down the beach for two hours. For some time afterwards, I would carry suntan lotion with me and tie a water bottle to my dive flag. A hat stuffed somewhere is not a bad idea either. My buddy use to put oranges or juice packs inside his wing for the swim back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom