St. Thomas diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Managed to get out last Sat and Sun and again this morning with Red Hook Dive Center, St. Thomas. 6 great dives - Calf and Castle Reef, Congo and Mingo, and French Cap and Calf this morning. Red Hook is in the East End, sites are 10 - 20 min ride, clean safe fun group. Water temps 84.

Highlites - sleeping nurse shark, carib reef shark, numerous barracuda, pipefish, jacks, little gumball juvi trunkfish, lobstaa (lots under the ledges), turtles, 2 queen trigger (1 each dive today), spotted drum, slender file fish and normal reef fish.

All dives right around 40 - 60 feet. French Cap is the exception - a pinnacle a bit further out, maybe 100 to the bottom, we started around 75 -80 feet and circled around and back. Had some CORE divers on board hunting Lionfish, 1 small LF dispatched and left on reef. When we came back on it, I found a good size Queen triggerfish tearing it apart for breakfast.

Hi jersey, my wife and I are traveling to st Thomas by cruise ship in January. I am experienced but Linda is new to diving. How is st Thomas for beginners? How would you rank the dives compared to other locations? Would you use this shop again? Any tips would be great.
Zach

Hi jersey, my wife and I are traveling to st Thomas by cruise ship in January. I am experienced but Linda is new to diving. How is st Thomas for beginners? How would you rank the dives compared to other locations? Would you use this shop again? Any tips would be great.
Zach

Diving in St. Thomas is very easy, good variety of dive sites from shallow 20 foot reefs to 100 wrecks (WIT Concrete). Did 10 dives with Admiralty dive and was very pleased with the level of service. If you love wildlife, then Admiralty is definitely for you as the owner Duane is a huge wildlife/fish guy and will routinely point out rare specimens.

Zach

STT is very easy, much of the diving is geared toward newer or haven't dove in X years divers. Hard bottom, many of the sites are 35 - 50 foot range, no current or surge on most of those sites, all are guided, guides very adept at keepng group together, monitoring air, safety conscious. I use Red Hook Dive Center every chance I get! 7 minutes from my condo. Great op, all the staff I've been out with go out of their way to engage guests, USCG safety brief before you leave the dock, good site brief, water and fruit between dives, fresh water rinse + shampoo and conditioner on boat (us long haired girls love that), concierge diving - haul your gear on, set it up, switch it over. Rental gear is brand new. As to other locations, it depends on the site. I've noticed if there are newer or haven't been in water in X years divers they stick to the safer, shallow, consistent sites. They remind me of St. Marteen with patch coral, some rock canyons to sail through, vis is good, reliable marine life. Sites like that - Cow, Calf, Ledges, Castle, Stragglers. When it's repeats/locals the sites get more difficult and varied. French Cap pinnacle dive starting at about 85-90 feet coming up to 40 feet, subject to currents, reminds me of the Saba pinnacles. Congo further out the passage another 80 foot site with lots of swaying soft corals, you need good SAC to get around and back, topographically reminds me of Bonaire. I've seen nothing really deep like Cayman wall diving, they may be there, I just haven't been there.

Not sure what your cruise itinerary is, Red Hook (town and dive center) is about 15 minutes from Charlotte Amalie, cabs all over the place, boat leaves at 8:30 am, back to dock noon-ish. Then plenty of great places to grab lunch and a beverage. You can find them at Red Hook Dive Center | Scuba Diving in St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. Very responsive to calls and emails.

I've also heard great things about Admiralty Diving, I've just not had an opportunity to catch them. Despite being on island since mid-July, I've only managed to get out 7 days (couple weekends were washed out with storms). Sad, after morning dives, I usually drop gear, quick shower and head in to work the afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom