St Thomas diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucekrymow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

Have a trip scheduled in Dec for 1st time in ST Thomas, staying at Marriot's' Frenchmen's Reef.

Would like to know from those w/ multiple experiences if what recommended dive outfits you folk might recommend & which to surely avoid.

Want to do a couple days of dives, not be on a cattle boat, non-snorkeling dive spots not too crowded, 60'-100', photograph fauna, shark dive if available.

Thanks for any

If it were me, I would instead go to Red Hook in St Thomas and rent a boat for myself from Nauti Nymph and head over around St John. Almost no bad areas and you can dive at your leisure.

My 2 cents. Awesome stuff if you want to bother with customs etc etc to see the British Virgins as well. Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, Anegada. Heaven on earth.

For off the beaten path dives & being on top of stuff, what might be the feedback from SB'ers who've experienced dives w/ the following?

• ST Thomas Diving Club
  • Blue Island Divers
  • Dive In
  • Red Hook Dive Center

Anyone ever had any unpleasant experiences w/ any particular outfits @ St Thomas?

Hello!

Have a trip scheduled in Dec for 1st time in ST Thomas, staying at Marriot's' Frenchmen's Reef.

In December '07 I stayed at the Marriot Frenchmen's Reef and dived with St. Thomas Diving Club. They are a good/nice outfit. I would recommend them and would dive with them again.

The only outfit in St. Thomas my wife & I dove with was a one day trip with Admiralty Dive, located at a Holiday Inn, if memory serves. We loved Admiralty, and I've seen them spoken quite well of on this forum.

Richard.

I've dove with Admiralty and Red Hook, both were good experiences. When I dove with Admiralty we actually loaded the dive boat at the Marina and then motored over the the Marriott to met the other divers at the Marriott pier. I don't think it could get more convenient than that.

We just spent last week 5-11 Sep 2010 at the Frenchmas Reef Marriott and dived three times with ST Thomas Diving club.

I'll write trip report later on this week.

You'll want to rent a car, both to get to the dive ops which is 10 minutes down the road and to get out to Dinner, Shopping and ferrying over to ST John to see Trunk Bay.

We Dove Moday, Wednesday and Friday moring. We did the Navy Barges, Joes Jam/Coral Bowl, French Cap and several other sites. The guys and gals Chris, Jen, Jimi, Naomi were all great. The boat Letts Dive is a 12 pack and is easy to get into and out of. Boat is docked right in front of shop.

Iggys next door has great food right there on the beach.

David & Barbra

ST Thomas Diving Club
340-776-2381
St. Thomas Diving Club, Scuba and Snorkeling in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 43
We dove with Dive In about 5 years ago. Two of us and 3-4 others. Plus a DM and the captain. We did a couple of easy, shallower dives off Grass Cay - including one long drift dive. Saw some rays and typical fish for the area - there had been reports of Tigers nearby but we didn't see one. Lots of big coral heads in one area.

Their boat is docked next to Sapphire Beach resort - the diveshack is in the lobby of the resort. You do paperwork at the diveshack first then walk over to the boat with gear or drive over and park 20' away.

I don't know if anybody is still doing the Rhone as a day trip - Sawyers used to before Red Hook took over their facility but that would be worth a trip. I don't like wrecks and I liked those dives.

Anyone ever had any unpleasant experiences w/ any particular outfits @ St Thomas?
I was underwhelmed by Coki Beach/Coki Beach Dive Club. Their beach attendant neglected to mention that there could be stiff currents in the afternoon past the Coral World outfall pipes. Once we got out there we couldn't get back. So we had to climb out, walk back for a cab and pickup the gear. About an hour and a half total. When we got back he said he was just about to go look for us with the JetSki. It's a pretty marginal dive regardless - not a lot of coral and a lot of cruise traffic.

We just spent last week 5-11 Sep 2010 at the Frenchmas Reef Marriott and dived three times with ST Thomas Diving club.

I'll write trip report later on this week.

Hi, D & B ~

Do you have the URL for the trip report you wrote up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom