St Thomas Dive Ops - Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveProKoko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey, guys! Hope you're all doing well. My wife and I are headed to St Thomas in July. It's not necessarily a "dive trip", but we do want to dive at least one day while we're there. We are staying in a house on the north side and prefer a small boat (6 -pack?). We have been looking online and a place like Coki Dive Center looks darn near perfect, but we're open to suggestions before we book. Does anyone have experience with them or another small boat operator you can recommend? Thanks in advance! Happy diving!

Enjoy! Red Hook Dive Center and I understand they are open for business. I worked on St. T between 2014 - 2015 and used them. Few miles down the road from Coki. The ownership has changed and I've only been out with the new owners once, but found them to be just as involved as the former owner. (Actually the former owner was there when I popped down late 2016, guiding them through the transition and he was able to join me diving). The diving is OK, beats not diving, and I did see some really cool things. Sharks on almost every dive - black tip and/or reef sharks, nurse sharks everywhere. Lots of turtles, lobster, normal reef fish. Found my first pipefish! That was cool. Swim throughs on several sites. Only got out to the deeper more advanced sites a couple times, French Cap being the best.

Coki is guided shore diving, but there isn't much to see, mostly sand bottom, abandoned lobster pots. The best about Coki diving back in the day was seeing the hardhat bottom walkers over by the aquarium. Max depth wasn't all that deep, currents got a bit tricky at couple points and they fed MilkBone dog biscuits to the snapper on the way back in. Which created a feed frenzy as the treats broke up and I ended up getting bit by a snapper.

Hi,

I’m glad to read that Red Hook Dive Center is still an excellent outfit. I haven’t dived there in 10 years, but the diving then was just as you described!

Coki was a bust for us: we tried it twice, and gave up: hardly any sea life—but an easy entry!

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom