St Martin or St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A cruise I'm going on is stopping at both islands (among others). Based upon my research people seem to lean heavily towards St. Thomas.

St. Maarten is not a great diving destination. Saba (a small island off St. Maarten) is the place to go to dive there.

St. Thomas is better than St. Maarten, generally speaking, but not as great as Saba, which has some of the best diving in the Caribbean

basically, neither St. Maarten nor St. Thomas are known for their great diving. St. Thomas is the better of the two if you have only those two choices.

if he can get to St. Maarten, he should go to Saba instead (it's just a short flight or ferry ride away). Saba has awesome diving.

I went to St. Thomas last April & thought the diving was decent (it's not the Caymans, Cozumel or Bonaire). There are lots of wrecks to dive. I hooked up w/ Chris Stewart's dive op out of Red Hook & went over to the BVI's to dive the Rhone. This is the best wreck dive I've ever done. Absolutely amazing.

As far as top side went, I liked St. John better. It's less bustling & urban. St. John is more natural, upscale & laid back.

I've never been to St. Martin because I've always heard it is NOT good for diving.

I went to St. Thomas last April & thought the diving was decent

how did you find safety/crime issues?

i've heard that St. Thomas can get a little hostile, but that's just what i've heard

Andy - I live on St. Thomas and I feel a whole lot safer here than I did in Indiana! I've not seen "hostile" here. Yeah there's crime, but nothing like I just heard happening in Tinley Park, Illinois yesterday (5 dead after shooting at Lane Bryants).

As far as the diving - we moved here because of the diving diversity available. My favorite site is the Wit Shoal and my fave reef is Armondo's Paradise.

Armando's is amazing! There is good diving around St. Thomas, I haven't been to St. Maarten so I don't know about what there is there.

The crime here has been blown way out of proportion on this board particularly. Is there crime? Yes. Are you likely to experience it when you're here? No.

Laura, if we take you to French Cap will you take me to the Wit Shoal?

Rachel

thanks all

Armando's is amazing! There is good diving around St. Thomas, I haven't been to St. Maarten so I don't know about what there is there.

The crime here has been blown way out of proportion on this board particularly. Is there crime? Yes. Are you likely to experience it when you're here? No.

Laura, if we take you to French Cap will you take me to the Wit Shoal?

Rachel

Hey Rachel!! We are going out to French Cap the last Sunday of the month in the afternoon. Thanks for the offer! You are more than welcomed to do the Wit with us when we go (never know it's always sea and depends of the experience of our divers on any given day). Call the shop and leave your number so I can call next time we go. Oh - we have great local rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom